System Hangs forever

brenslick

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Hi,
So at the beginning of this semester, i took an IT Essentials class. When we got to the hardware section, i was interested and decided i wanted to build my own system. I did my research, and about 2 months ago, i bought all the parts and built it. At first i got no power, but i figured out i had a bad PSU. So after i got a new one, i thought everything would run fine, but when i tried to put Ubuntu on my system it said it failed to create the swap partition, so i asked my IT teacher and he said that the drive needed to be formatted to NTFS first, since it was a new drive. I understood that, so i bought XP online, and on Friday i received my disk in the mail.

So when i put the disk in it started up and gave me the windows setup screen, but i went to go get a drink while it loaded the files, etc. When i came back it was on the next screen and said to hit enter to continue, but right before i hit enter, the computer shut off. Confused, i turned it back on, but instead of booting off the disk, it gets to the screen where it flashes one single white line, and it hangs there a while, then the line moves down a space and just hangs there flashing at me. I left it on for 3 straight hours to see if it would ever come on, but it just continues to flash.

So now i am stuck, it does this same thing with Ubuntu and Kubuntu in, and without any disk at all. Just one single line flashing over and over. I am lost, i think im gonna take it into the store after memorial day weekend, but i would like to know if anyone here thinks they have a solution for my problem.

My thoughts are that the xp disk may have somehow changed to boot order in the bios, and thats why it wont boot off the disk. However, i cant get into bios, the screen flashes too fast. Before i put the xp disk in, i could get into bios easily. I was wondering if clearing the CMOS might allow me to get back into bios, and might allow me to boot off the disk again? The only time ive ever messed with the cmos jumper is in my IT class, so im not very familiar with it.

Thanks to everyone who offers any help.

G

If you throw your computer out the window it will work fine.

TLA, if you can't say something constructive stay out of a new thread! The OP might have NEVER BEEN HELPED because someone had already replied to this thread, so I might have skipped over it.

Brenslick, yes you should reset the CMOS. You motherboard manual will have instruction regarding this.

If you need more help, please list your all the parts you used. Here is a format to help you:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-troubleshooting

Also, you may want to look over this checklist:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-build-post-checklist