Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell dimension 4550

Last response: in Components
August 28, 2009 2:31:30 AM

I Have a dell and i was wondering if i could put 2 GB of ram in. the reason im asking this is because on dells web site it says that the max is 1 GB. would any think bad happen if i go over the limit? could it be that maybe it was 1 GB back then because they had not developed the tec? because they sell the memory in 1 GB and they meet the recommended conditions.

this is my computer specs

dell dimension 4550 2.4 gigahertz Pentium 4 possessor 512 DDR RAM Samsung PC2700 ram at runs(166 megahertz) 2 slots total

More about : dell dimension 4550

Best solution

August 28, 2009 2:51:35 AM

I'm typing this reply using a home-built P4 2.4Ghz D845PEBT2 Intel system very similar to your Dell box. It also has 2 dimm slots. My Intel board accepts 1GB sticks of ram. Your Dell does not. They were made at roughly the same time, so technology is not the answer. If you go over the limit the only thing bad to happen is that the system may not POST, making it useless until you go back to 512MB per dimm.
August 28, 2009 5:14:56 PM

novagiant said:
I Have a dell and i was wondering if i could put 2 GB of ram in. the reason im asking this is because on dells web site it says that the max is 1 GB. would any think bad happen if i go over the limit? could it be that maybe it was 1 GB back then because they had not developed the tec? because they sell the memory in 1 GB and they meet the recommended conditions.

this is my computer specs

dell dimension 4550 2.4 gigahertz Pentium 4 possessor 512 DDR RAM Samsung PC2700 ram at runs(166 megahertz) 2 slots total

Read this
http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/desktop/dimension-45...
m
l
!