Info on increasing power/speed with my media.

I want to make sure I ask this correct.
I just bought an iPad, and now I am starting to convert all my video to MP4, because I think its better than .avi! I also have a lot of media I am trying to organize so it can easily be accessible by my iPad.

I have an external usb hard drive thats like 3 years old. I have it filled with videos, comics, and ebooks almost maxing its 500gb

I want to upgrade some things on my build to make things go faster, stronger and better. I have 4gb of 1600 lat 7, and am thinking of getting 2x4gb Sniper 1333 lat9 and possibly getting two sets of this. Either way 8gb would be sweet.

Then I was thinking of getting a second 1tb sata 3 or Crucial SSD sata 64gb, but with my current sata 3 HD, I am not hitting sata 3 speeds so one would increase speed and the other storage.

So I wanted to know if there is anything else I can do to up my strength for converting video and storing it.
I am using a **** iMedia converter, would I get better performance with a different converter??

This is kinda of scrambled, I know that 8 or 16gb will be insanely cool and I know that the SSD will only be for increasing Windows and a handful of programs. I just wanted a second opinion.
6 answers Last reply
More about info increasing power speed media
  1. not sure if there will be much or any improvement increasing above 8GB of memory.

why are switching to slower memory?
  2. I read around the internet that only in synthetic benchmarks, will I see a difference between 1333 and 1600.
    And that 1600 is only if I plan to Over Clock.
    I checked around and it seemed to match info from several places.

Anyways I have been converting this video over and have found that MP4 takes up much more space at least by a x1.5!
    Four seasons of batman equaled 14gb, and 3 seasons is at 41gb!

I thought with 16gb I would be able to multi task any project needed. I would probably start out with the first set of 8gb and buy another. I really need storage right now, cuz 1tb internal and 500gb external isn't enough these days.
  3. I also would be spending over 20$ just to get latency 8 instead of 9.
    The higher rated memory they charge a lot more for.
    1333 lat 9 is very cheap.
  4. I have 3 different sets of DDR3 1600Mhz ram
    1. 4GB CL7
    2. 8GB CL8
    3. 4GB CL9
    Guess what set seems snappier to me during daily use?
    To me there's a big difference between the CL9 and CL7 set.
    The CL8 set is pretty responsive too might be the 8Gb's though.
    To me the CL9 performance is noticeably slower.
    I would just buy another matching 4Gb kit of CL7.
  5. Obviously I would probably just get the fastest timings I can afford, but I just can't find the equation that takes the speed and its latancy and tells you a number like 5.62ns or 6.2ns.

So if I could afford 16gb 1066 lat 7, I would be better getting 8gb of 1333 lat 9?

The 8gb sets of 1066/lat7=80$, 1333/lat9=85$, 1600lat9=105, and 1333/lat7=110!

If I chose to get same memory but in 8gb form w/lat8, it would be $140, unless I max myself out at 8gb with another same set.

If I just wanted to get 8gb of any of these, it would be fine, leaving me room to get a couple of HD's. I guess 16gb might be a little overkill, and I could just round up another 100$ in the future.

I have a new question about HDs!

Ok, I bought the WD 1tb sata 3 Caviar Black. I tested it and it only runs at sata 2 speeds. I was told my Giga AM3 UD5 would only allow certain speeds even though I have sata 3 connections. They also told me that SSD's are the only things that take advantage of sata 3. So there is no point in getting one, even with my board.

I want to know now is, what 1tb HD, should I get? I can get 2 of the Seagate 7200.12 1tb sata 2 for 130$, saving 50$.
    Or I could get my same sata 3 HD and pay 180$ for two of them?
  6. http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/amd_am3_memory_performance_guide,6.html

I decided to just get 2x4gb 1333 Lat 7 memory for 110$ and buy a second set later down the road.

I know my Rip Jaw memory fits under my Hyper 212+. They just released the Rip Jaw X's, so I rather get the newest that way they will have them in future so I can buy another set.

Do you think that the Rip Jaw and Rip Jaw X's are the same height as far as fitting under a cooler???

I compared two photos that were zoomed the same, and they really seem idential, and I don't see why not!

EIther way the Rip Jaw and Rip Jaw x's are the same price, I just rather get the X's for its looks(blue) and for its longer life on the shelf!
Ask a new question

Read More

Storage