Computer Shutting Down - can't figure out why

vortexprog

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hi all,

I have a company computer that has been used for hardware/software testing purposes. I have tweaked some parts and it has been running fine. Recently, I overclocked it and was getting horrible fps running graphics. I decided to unplug and open the computer to look inside; I checked the RAM and CPU, the seemed fine so I rebooted. The BIOS reported that all the RAM was present and checked and the CPU was running at the correct frequency and voltages (I returned it to stock settings). It did not seem to have any problems, but the CPU fan would stop spinning and the computer would turn off just before I got to the Windows loading screen. If I rebooted imeedietally, it would only turn on for about 5 seconds, then turn off. I ttok i into the BIOs after a while and it seemed OK, but ionce again shut down. Can anybody help me out?

CPU Intel Pentium 4 630 HT @ 3.06Ghz
Motherboard Soltek Pro Series 775 chipset
BIOS American Megatrends 2004
RAM 1Gb DDR
Video Card ATI Radeon 9800Pro
PSU Enermax EG465P-VE(24P) 460W

Not the best computer, but I would like to get it back up and running. Thank you in advance for any and all help!

vortexprog

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
System temp is 20 degrees Celcius
CPU is 65 degrees Celcius

These both seem very good. I believe I have another PSU that is P4 certified and will try it out; the computer itself is quite old and the PSU might be failing. Thanks, I will see how it goes and let you know.

Can I run memtest even if the computer won't go into Windows? I can only look at the boot screen and the BIOS for less than a minute before it shuts itself down.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Can I run memtest even if the computer won't go into Windows

Yes.... You would need to download Memtest and burn it on to a CD. then make sure that the CD Drive is set as 1st boot device. I would recommend that you download Ultimate Boot CD; it's free and has many other diagnostic tools in addition to Memtest.
Good luck

Latest posts