spi1ke

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Hi guys I'm building my own computer and I'll be mostly using Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya, 3ds max, etc. and play some games also. The thing is I'm not sure whether to buy a 1TB Caviar Black HDD or a Corsair Nova 64GB SSD for OS and the Adobe Suite and a 500 GB HDD for files and stuff. What's the best route guys? Thanks in advance.

spi1ke

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Yeah I got 12gbs on ram. One more question guys, I have exactly 126 bucks available for the ssd and has to be bought on amazon, so the Corsair Nova64 is my most reasonable option at 119$, but I was really looking at the possibility of a 60GB OCZ Vertex 2, but that one is at 129$, as I have seen better reviews for the latter, it is really that better? I could hold on like a month to see if prices drop on that one but I'm not really sure of that. Thanks.

spi1ke

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Yes, considering my 126$ limit the 50GB Vertex 2 is perfect at 125$ (Amazon prices), I was hoping for the 60GB version to drop a bit but that's not happening and I've been waiting for a little while now. Just hope those 50GB are enough for Win7 64bits, Maya and the Adobe suite at least.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Should be plenty of room for those, just make sure all other programs are custom installed to your storage drive instead of going to your C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86).

Microsoft has an article about how to install Win7 to an SSD but have your Users folder on a separate HDD.

spi1ke

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Thanks for that, the user folder trick looks awesome but rather complex for me, I wouldn't mind giving it a try anyway. Apparently some guys there did it right.

spi1ke

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Those are very useful, thanks. Guys I don't know if is right to turn this into another subject, but I got a strong doubt here, I got 6 ddr3 HyperX sticks and they are like 60mm tall and I'm planning to buy a CM Hyper 212 but I don't know if the fan cooler is going to interfere with the ram sticks on a rampage III formula, I really have tried to find a picture of this combo (fan cooler + mobo) but nada.

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
With that kind of RAM I'd check the measurements before I buy. Hyper 212 is generally easy to fit but that can get into the way of the RAM if you fill all the slots. Remember you can put the fan on either side in case space is tight. One method is to check the measurements of the mobo and the cooler, then place a rectangle on top of the mobo's image to check for fitting.

64 GB is gonna be rather tight and you're looking to buy more SSD when better models come out. I'd think SSD is worth it unless you need the money for lots of large files and the needed storage room. I'd also try putting the data on SSD with those applications because it could speed up things in some cases. But then you need more money for a larger SSD ;)

The price difference between .5GB and 1GB should be quite small today, I'd always go for 1GB, save on something else than hardware :)

spi1ke

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I haven't checked the measurements as you say but looks like it's not going to fit, I'm really considering a Corsair H70 now. As for the storage I'm gonna wait a bit, I'll buy a HDD meanwhile, then when prices drop I'll get an SSD with some more capacity, as you point out it's gonna be a little tight with 50-60 GB as I use multiple applications frequently, and I really love the idea of an SSD boost for these programs.

wfriction

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Definitely wait 2 months to check out the new SSDs that are released, as this will mean prices on current drives drop a fair bit.
If you need help choosing a drive let me know and I'll be happy to assist :)

corniger

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Considering the cooler: I had a huge problem finding one for exactly the same reasons: I have 4 Dominator RAMs plus their own cooler. The only good cooler I could find was the Thermalright Archon. But you need a big case for that one. I took an image of my bpoard and scaled it according to the measurements given by the manufacturer. Then I put a rectancle for the cooler and one for the fan on as overlay - that way you have a chance to check if it can possibly fit.

SSD: I was thinking to get one myself. OCZ mentioned above. I've read lots of positive feedback, but also a couple that stated theirs went down after only a few days of use. None that had them working for a very long time yet, so that got me wary. The guy at the store told me "people buy them because they last much longer and are faster." Well, I'm not so sure anymore... I want something that LASTS. My WD Velociraptors haven't let me down so far, and a RAID of 2 will also make a huge difference. One alone is much faster than regular HDDs already and after 1 year or so I haven't had any trouble. No SSD review I found so far could top that, everybody just freaks out over the speed or breakage and that's pretty much it, I'd like to read from a professional working with those on a heavy duty basis. There are Enterprise Edition drives, which are much more expensive an use different storage chips. I think I'll definitely wait for the new SSDs.

spi1ke

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I just saw the Archon cooler and it's a very good option, thanks. About the SSDs, I don't think they are gonna wear out that frequently, even if they are aimed at the average user these companies won't risk their credibility with short-lived hardware, but I saw somewhere the Intels are likely to be the most reliable. Anyway I'll try and wait like 2 months to see if I can get something near 120GB at a reasonable price. The 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 is already going down, Amazon and Newegg have them at 115$, they were 130$ a week ago. Let's hope this trend continues.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Corniger
I wouldn't worry overly much about reliability. I read the reviews on Newegg, but this is what finally sold me: The Vertex 2 drives are rated at 2 million hours MTBF. The VelociRaptor is only rated at 1.4 million.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

I know I am too late to reply in one way,but I thought I would have my say... :pt1cable: Why don't you just wait some more time to get more cash and get a better SSD boot drive...One with a larger capacity,with at least 90GB plus for all those applications to be stored on and also for the sake of checking out those sata 3 that run at 6 GB/s SSD's...Anyway I was'nt much help,but at least it may help your future problem solving... :??:

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi... :hello: Once again...I would even wait for more if you can :pt1cable: ,because it is good for your soul to have something better than to stay with something that maybe inferior... ;) Also go for bigger wise in SSD,like 100 GB or more for the boot drive and chuck off resources onto the storage drive...I believe that all the applications should be on the boot drive for faster access and that is why it should be at 100 GB's or more and do not worry if you have a faster storage drive,because all things run better with and make you happier the faster your computer will be... :D

Time for an update.

Corsair has relased their brand new Performance 3 series ssd's which are SATA III capable. They were first to market. The ssd'd are already available at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120%2050001459%20600038519&IsNodeId=1&name=Corsair

Two days ago news articles indicated Intel will be releasing their much awaited ssd's next month. They will actually release two series - The G3 which will be a new and improved version of their G2 ssd's. Those will be SATA II drives. The big surprise I was really hoping for will be their brand new 510 series which is SATA III capable.

OCZ will be releasing their brand new Vertex 3 ssd's. However, current estimates, rumors, and opinions seem to indicate they will not be available until May.

No word yet from Crucial.

spi1ke

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

Yes I'm definitely doing this, I'll save money and wait for these new drives to come out, something within 120 gb will be fine. Also I think it's clever to wait some feedback from early buyers, the first newegg customer to get one those new Corsair Performance 3 got a DOA.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi once again spi1ke :hello: ...If I was you I would be looking for a air cpu cooler instead of a water cpu cooler ;) ...You never know what may happen with these water cpu coolers,leaks,etc :sweat: ...Although they have been around for a while now,the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme is not too bad,it is not large in depth and thus you can add the fans onto it from the ram side or the rear side (off course the rear in this case for your sticks of ram)...For these coolers though you have to buy fan/fans,fan clips also back plates for cpu bracket separate(LGA1156 cpu back bracket also fits LGA1155 cpu sockets),also you have to check the width of your case (220mm will be sufficient with a side panel that has no air intake fan built into it,add around 25mm extra in case width at least for a side intake fan if you so desire to have one which would now make a total width of 245mm plus extra in case (I have mine inside an old Kandalf Case with out a side panel fan built into the side window) :) ...I would check out the Noctua NH-D14 all in one cpu cooler,off course from NOCTUA (designed in Australia and made in taiwan,but some stuff is still made in Australia)...In the Noctua NH-D14 cpu cooler you get fans,fan clips and a multi fit cpu back bracket that you can use for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156,since LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge pinset socket number can also use the LGA 1156 socket pinset number cpu back brackets,it becomes very handy ;) ...Now beware when ordering cases and checking online sites out that you get the actual case dimensions and not the card board box dimensions mixed up :sweat: ...At some online sites also they actually get the dimensions mixed up,like the card board box dimensions they write up as the actual case dimensions...So it pays not only to visit one online pc hardware store,but several more also as well as the manufacturer sites that have made these products to see that the dimensions are proper case dimensions ;) ...Some of these online stores like Techbuy in Sydney,Australia are real retards at doing this quite often as well as not wanting to take back returns of faulty products either,also parts are some times missing from the card board box and you can tell that the box has been previously opened :fou: ...I have bought from them before and I advise you not to buy from them even though they have an extensive range which trapped me into buying their gear :sweat: ...Techbuy,Australia is very expensive also,infact I think the most expensive store I've seen and Australia is fairly expensive anyway :fou: ...They have been known to make you wait for up to 6 or more weeks before they tell you that your product that you ordered can not be bought in as stock :fou: ...Sorry about this addin of this online store,but I feel I have to warn people about them since they sell to anyone around the world ;) ...Also some people have mentioned to me that they thought that Techbuy was really owned by the Hustler Magnate as he has gone into secret ventures around the world,but I can not verify this :fou: ...Although I have done a little research :) ,I did not try hard enough :pt1cable: ...Anyway sorry about adding all this extra's in this area,but once "spi1ke" mentioned about the cpu cooler I just added my input advice in and it went further then I thought it would (in relation to the length of this post and also wrong area) :wahoo: ...Just listen to my advice in this case and it will help you out :) ...

ronbo613

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I wouldn't worry overly much about reliability. I read the reviews on Newegg, but this is what finally sold me: The Vertex 2 drives are rated at 2 million hours MTBF.
Yeah, don't worry about reliability, the Vertex 2 I bought went bad in about ten days. Good luck with OCZ, you'll need it.

spi1ke - Have you taken a look at the Adobe web site to see what their advice is about ssd's. There's an entire section about optimizing Adobe product performance for Windows 7, Vista, and XP. There is an entire section devoted to solid state drives. Here's a link to the web page:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404439.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the list to get to the link to the ssd section.

I was over at the Xbit Laboratories web site checking for new information about ssd's. I found a very interesting article published last November containing facts and forecasts about Flash and Solid State Drives. There is some good news and some bad news.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/s [...] ecast.html

LordConrad

Distinguished

Luck of the draw. No company has perfect Quality Control. I'm sorry you got a bad drive, but it happens. I'd be much more concerned if you got two or three in a row that were all bad.