Am I filling my SSD too much up?

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Hi,

I got a OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD which I'm very happy with. However, I am not sure if I am filling it up too much at the moment. I have approximately 31GB free space (28%), is this too low?

I could easily move ~10GB over to my storage hdd (by moving Steam over to my HDD) - but if it's not necessary I'd rather keep it on the SSD for the improved loading times.

I don't know if it is of any importance in the consideration, but as I wasn't able to run AHCI I am using IDE - trim *should* work with this according to most people, but some says otherwise. So I am not 100% sure if trim is actually working as intended or not, but again - not sure if this is important for this consideration :)

Thanks in advance.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Trim is os dependant not ide or ahci.

you just lose some stuff like NCQ by running in ahci..

trim should be transparent.
personally i keep mine as empty as possible but its not that big a deal.

the whole trim doesnt work in ide mode thing is a huge myth... spread by people who "know"

my steam folder is ... 98GB so that wasnt an option for me.

nativeson8803

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I have a 120 gig ssd and it's got around 40 gigs left after installing my favorite games from steam. the others aren't installed but backed up on a hdd. on a separate hdd i have gta 4 installed because i didn't want to waste 16gb of space. i love my ssd and haven't notice any slow down so i'll probably keep filling it when stuff comes up that i want to run. i use word and adobe a lot and it's ultra snappy, just wish i got a 240

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I just read quite many times that filling up a SSD can slow it down, however, I am not sure on how much is actually ok to fill up - which is why I am asking :)

I try to keep my stuff organized as much as possible and not have unnecessary stuff on it, but I don't want to avoid putting certain games or programs on it unless it's actually best to avoid it. Maybe I should look into tidying up my Windows 7 installation a bit - perhaps I can find some tips to save some space.

One thing that puzzles me a little is that when marking all files and folders on the ssd and going properties, it tells me that they occupy 71,6GB (with hidden files visible), wheres in properties of the ssd itself it says 81,6GB used - this has been like so more or less from day 1 when installing Window 7. Any idea what is taking up those 10GB?

Regarding TRIM and ide I also ended up believing that it indeed works with ide - but I don't know any way to check it and be 100% sure that it is actually running.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

If you are running with default folder settings, system files will not be shown, and then it would likely be that the "missing" 10 GB is your pagefile and hibernation file.