Overclocking Dual GTX 580

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I have figured out how to overclock an i7 2600k and overclock memory through the use of google. But im still confused on how to overclock SLI GTX 580s. What software should I use and how should I go about it?

Solution
Best way to OC' 560 GTX in SLI is with MSI Afterburner. Increase GPU core and Memory for 15 increment and test with 3DMARK, OCCT, and ATI Tool for stability. When will begin to artifacts lower the settings, test again and you will be OK. But pay attention to your temperature and the voltage also. And be very careful while doing this. Once your in you will never go out of overclocking :D

spike15_mk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Best way to OC' 560 GTX in SLI is with MSI Afterburner. Increase GPU core and Memory for 15 increment and test with 3DMARK, OCCT, and ATI Tool for stability. When will begin to artifacts lower the settings, test again and you will be OK. But pay attention to your temperature and the voltage also. And be very careful while doing this. Once your in you will never go out of overclocking :D

Solution

xerxces

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

I am prety sure he has two. One I could understand but not two, unless you are simply bored, lol.

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Yes, the case will fit that motherboard and those cards. However, it will be a tight fit, it will be difficult to access the cables and what not at the bottom of the board. But I suppose that in any case those cards will be on the edge because the coolers take up 3 slots each...

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
The idea is dont argue like you know things. If your arguing against an expert on something like graphics cards and you have never touched one in your life or your talking out of your arse the whos the bigger fool? The one who actually knows what hes talking about or the one thats the fool and trying to argue with him. I have a perfect example of this when I was trying to tell someone to put the i5 2500k into his build because it was perfect for his needs and an AMD fanboy came in and said i5=eeeewwww and he told me he would put an AMD in any gaming computer over an Intel XD.

And I was told that they in reality only take up about 2.5 slots. Which idk if that statement is true. But he said I should have about a slot and a half between them but ill see when I put them in. Also this board has the NF200 chipset. So does it matter what slots they are if I want x16/x16? Is it mandatory to put them in the blue to get the x16/x16?

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I'm not arguing. Just trying to help out.

I'm not sure about which slots you need to put them in to get 16x/16x, that will be somewhere on the ASUS website. But, the Antec 1200 case only has 7 expansion slots and so that means the cards will have to be in the two blue slots. The cooler of ASUS ENGTX580 DCII only takes up 2.5 slots according to Asus (I cannot reference this, I just read it in another thread), but the actual card takes up 3 expansion slots of the case. If you buy lets say a HAF X, you will have 9 expansion slots which would let you use any two PCI Express x16 slots for the graphics cards.

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
well using the two blue is fine. Im only ever going to go dual SLI. tri and quad SLI is just too much to mess with. As long as they fit and cool effectively im fine. I wasnt saying you were arguing :) I was explaining the idea behind whats on my siggy

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Ah, cool ;)

The cards should cool just fine because theoretically there will be 1.5 slots between them. You will still have the option of putting any PCI Express x1 card between the 580's. I must admit, I am becoming jealous of your setup, I only plan to go SLI GTX570's in the near future :)

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
and why would I burn them up? Im not going to attempt overclocking until I put in hours of research into it. I know the approximate maxes of the card as I know someone who OC these cards to 1000 core. Ill get temp monitoring and I wont need to overclock the cards unless im benchmarking. If im just gaming you dont even need to OC the card just for the sheer fact that the card in SLI will be able to run any game in 60 fps or more which past 60 fps the game doesnt get much smoother that you can notice with the naked eye.

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

When you get your dual GTX 570s though I would go with the brands that have 8 phase VRMs. Having an 8 phase over a 6 phase (or maybe its 4 I cant remember google it) which is in the reference model helps control the voltage better so you dont blow the card. GTX 570 and 590s have been dropping like flies costing NVIDIA alot in RMAs.

cromedome

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

Thanks for that. The 570's I was looking at were in fact the reference models but I suppose it won't hurt to look for a decent brand with 8 phase VRM's.