Questions about Corsair H70

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I have a Core i7 930 @ it's stock 2.8 GHz. When I overclocked it to 3.4 GHz the idle temps were almost 60 *C! I am using the ZALMAN CNPS9900 CPU heatsink and cooler.

No CPU should idle at +/- 60 *C at 3.4 GHz. I am considering upgrading to the Corsair H70 water cooling system. But here are my questions regarding water cooling.

*Does water cooling leak?

*Is high-end water cooling more efficient than top-tier air cooling?

*Will the Corsair H70 system fit in my CoolerMaster HAF 932 case?

*Is water cooling quieter than air cooling?

*What overclocking speeds can I reach with a Corsair H70 with safe temperatures?

*How often do you replace the water?

*Would a chemical coolant be better than water?

*How do I know if my water cooling system is leaking or malfunctioning?

*Does water cooling leak?
Very rarely with the H70

*Is high-end water cooling more efficient than top-tier air cooling?
Yes but the H70 is not as good as a good air cooler

*Will the Corsair H70 system fit in my CoolerMaster HAF 932 case?
Yes

*Is water cooling quieter than air cooling?
Normally but it depends n what fans you use

*What overclocking speeds can I reach with a Corsair H70 with safe temperatures?
Will vart from CPU to CPU even if they are the same models

*How often do you replace the water?
Never in a H70 every 6 months or so in a proper water cooling setup

*Would a chemical coolant be better than water?
Im no expert on this but I think distilled water + some biocide is best

*How do I know if my water cooling system is leaking or malfunctioning?
If the problem is not obvious then by hardware failure

What you need to know is the H70 is a zero maintenance sealed liquid cooler and is not like a proper water cooling setup in price, performance or how it needs to be installed or maintained. Good air coolers work better than the H70.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'd have to agree with both on that. Good reply by simon12 on this one.

H70 is a decent option over an air cooler if you want to say you have a liquid cooler and don't mind the same temps as many air coolers...even for more money. It doesn't perform much better than most good air coolers and the best air coolers can often perform better. For the cost of an H70 plus good fans to make it perform well, you are well into the range of the XSPC Rasa RS240 kit around ~$130 (depending on fan choice) H70 is a high FPI 120mm rad which really needs high CFM/static pressure fans to work really well...need 2 in push/pull to maximize cooling ability.

G

Your Zalman is deffo not man enough for the Job..

there are better performing air coolers than H70

Check out www.frostytech.com

all you need to know about coolers!

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
FWIW, the H70 IS in fact, as good as "good" air coolers. The most expensive air coolers made will out perform the H70 in some circumstances. You can find independent reviews online to research this. In most cases, the H70 is within 3% - 5% of ANY air cooler made under equal testing circumstances.

And, you have the added benefit of the H70 not blocking memory slots like the "good" and great air coolers do. This is critical if you ever intend to run 4 memory modules that have tall heat spreaders.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

What is the "holy grail" of CPU air coolers?

I got a ZALMAN CNPS9900 to replace Intel's notoriously crappy stock cooler. It isn't by far the best air cooler out there, but it certainly blows away Intel's paperweight heatsink.

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Frostytech's top 5 is great, or for the detailed list go to their most recent reviews to see a pile of relative performance data at simulated Intel and AMD heat loads.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
They typically have pretty good test data and review info/comparisons. When it comes to people asking the generic 'what should I get' kinds of questions, I usually point them there. After they get some ideas with some knowledge to back their questions, usually others chime in with additional info.

banscare

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Just wanted to show my support for the H70. I'm a long time user running an i7950 @ a modest 4ghz. Great little unit with no fuss or mess. idle temps around 30 degrees. One thing I do find is the rads tend to accumulate dust faster than other units I have tried due to the compact design.

homegun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

I agree - why is noone questioning this? The Zalman is certainly capable enough to keep idle temps below that level - you probably did not mount it correctly, or used too much thermal paste, etc.