Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XP cannot find CD Drive (Brand Name changed)

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2011 10:44:50 AM

Hello, my computer cannot find the CD Drive. The CD Drive model was Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S in Bios. But in Device Manager, it was changed to Saisqng CD-R/RW WW-252S so there is a yellow question mark shown in front of it. It is impossible for me to download a Saisqng driver and a Samsung driver cannot work.
a b G Storage
January 28, 2011 9:00:08 PM

Try to uninstall and then re-install the drive in Device Manager.
m
l
January 30, 2011 3:15:20 PM

house70 said:
Try to uninstall and then re-install the drive in Device Manager.

After uninstallation and re-boot, the computer detect a new hardware called Saisqng CD-R/RW WW-252S. It can find suitable driver neither from XP nor from the original CD provided by the manufacturer Samsung. So the point is HOW can I tell the computer to correctly read the name (including the model no) of the CD-R/RW.

In Bios, the Drive ID reads Samsung CD-V/RW SW-252S. I am sorry that the model no stated in the thread was wrongly spelt.

When I start the computer and in the course of running the Bios, there is a message reading "Diskette drive 0 seek failure".
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 31, 2011 5:20:02 PM

You may need to update the firmware.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportDownloadCenter...
February 1, 2011 3:07:38 PM

aford10 said:
You may need to update the firmware.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportDownloadCenter...

I have one DVD drive (out of order) and one CD-R/RW drive for the computer.

Firmware downloaded from Samsung only showed the DVD Drive and did not take "Saisqng CD-R/RW WW-252S" as a valid drive. I could not type words (model no etc.) into the boxes of the firmware pop-up window and so I failed to update the corresponding driver.

m
l
February 11, 2011 3:33:08 PM

Best answer selected by Eric_Lee.
m
l
!