Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Swiftech Edge Series WC?

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 4:21:29 PM

The Swiftech 220 Edge Series WC kit is available at $90 off right now, so $210
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57133&vpn=H20%2D220%20Edg...

It actually seems like a really good loop. It has the Apogee XTL block, a 220 rad with fans, pump, tubing, and a few mounting options. I'd probably have to mount it on the back of my case. It also has the option of integrating more into the loop which is nice if in the future I buy a bigger case and maybe WC a GPU (with another rad of course).

But I can't seem to find too many great, in depth reviews of it so I'm a little hesitant about it.

So, the question is, is it a good buy?

More about : swiftech edge series

a c 330 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 5:18:16 PM

For that price you can put together a custom loop. The only thing about that Edge kit I question is the pump...I know that the rad/pump combo drives are usually a DDC/MCP350-355 pump...I would assume these are the same?

For $149 you can get the XSPC Rasa RS360 kit which you could add a GPU to the loop when you are ready. Many people run this setup. Might check on the pump used in that Edge kit...it might be a decent deal, just not many people go with the Swiftech kits anymore due to the cheaper alternative kits from XSPC and EK.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 5:23:48 PM

The pump is a modified version, the MCP 35X
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCP35X.asp

Well, that RASA kit is a great price, I'll look into it. The only thing is I don't know if a triple rad is going to fit on the back... And I'll definitely need this piece:

Also I'm in Canada so I'll have to look into the shipping and such.
m
l
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 5:34:01 PM

Ooohhh...MCP35x is even better. Size of the DDC pumps, stronger and better performing than the D5/MCP655. Might be worth it...that pump alone runs $110+.

Radbox might be needed if you don't have a place to mount it, correct.

However, if you add your GPU to the loop, you will want another rad in addition to that 220 in that kit; at minimum a 120 rad...another 220 for your GPU would help a lot. Just something to consider. Swiftech rads are pretty good performers for the price; I actually run two MCR320's in my loop.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 5:50:25 PM

Yeah I had read about them previously and I think that the rad and block are probably better than the RASA kit.

The GPU(s) wouldn't get added into the loop for a long time yet (well... so I think). It's pretty hard to find 5850 blocks and they're expensive so I'm thinking on that end I'm going to wait and do a pretty big overhaul next year with a new case, new GPU, and watercool it.

Still, it's a pretty significant savings for the RASA kit.

Couple questions though, kind of newbie... at least the RASA kit shows it'll come with a silver coil, so that'll kill algae. But in general is it recommended to buy a corrosion blocker? And the other thing is UV water colour... I would enjoy blue, but I've read these can cause issues. Should I just buy a little bit of blue tubing instead?
m
l

Best solution

a c 330 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 6:06:09 PM

Rasa block is one of the best performing ATM, but the Apogee line of blocks does very well, also. Either are a good value.

The Rasa is pretty good for the cost, but if you are for certain you are wanting to go with a loop like that (CPU, multi GPUs, multi rads) you might consider starting off with a custom build from the start. You can go pretty economical to start a loop if you were already thinking in the ~$200 price range of that Edge kit.

And yes, dyes and additives aren't recommended, but you can use them if you want. Dyes are safer than premixes/additives for the most part. Even food coloring is ok, but colored tubing is your best bet for adding color.

Don't need corrosion blocker; you'd only need it if you were running aluminum and copper in the same loop. Not a good idea at all. Most components these days for WC are copper/brass. You wouldn't run into an issue unless you started adding something like an aluminum heatercore or something like that.

Just things to think of before you pull the trigger...some planning is a great idea.
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 7:03:29 PM

Well I did a whole bunch of research about... maybe 6 months ago. When I finally priced out the full loop, rads, fittings, gpu blocks all that it was a little over $700 (granted, GPU blocks were $200 each - EK full cover). That was for a pretty agressive delta T too, I think I was going to have 5 or 6 x 120 rads altogether.

But looking at just an Apogee XT, MCP655 pump, MCR220 rad, and two Scythe Kaze Jyuni fans, ignoring mounting and tube and clamps, it's already $200. (from NCIX)

I like that the RASA kit has a resevoir, although I'm not really sold on needing one for a CPU only loop. I guess a large loop it would be good though. The Swiftech loop is more compact so that's nice. I suppose bang for the buck though RASA is probably a better deal.

GPUs in the loop isn't really on the table right now, like I said, maybe in a little over a year with whatever next GPU I buy, and by that time who knows what else I'll want to change. Probably the case so I can go all internal at the least. Right now I'm pretty happy with the Scythe Setsugen air coolers I bought for my cards.

Anyway thanks for all the help so far!
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 7:06:29 PM

A reservoir won't help your temps any, it simply helps improve filling and priming your loop. That Swiftech Edge kit has a res built into the other end of the radiator to fill it...it is just integrated into the radiator. The XSPC kit has the pump/res integrated...but I guess you can classify the Edge as res/pump/rad integration.

Either route you go, you'll need to add the GPU blocks and additional radiators dependant upon how many GPUs in the loop.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 7:23:37 PM

wolfram23 said:
The Swiftech 220 Edge Series WC kit is available at $90 off right now, so $210
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57133&vpn=H20%2D220%20Edg...

It actually seems like a really good loop. It has the Apogee XTL block, a 220 rad with fans, pump, tubing, and a few mounting options. I'd probably have to mount it on the back of my case. It also has the option of integrating more into the loop which is nice if in the future I buy a bigger case and maybe WC a GPU (with another rad of course).

But I can't seem to find too many great, in depth reviews of it so I'm a little hesitant about it.

So, the question is, is it a good buy?

http://www.overclockers.com/swiftech-h20220-edge-liquid...
you don't need flimsy rad box ,get nylon risers @ local hardware store
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 7:28:58 PM

^^ I made my own, Radbox works for people who are new and aren't sure what they need to do...or you can wait and when you are planning your install with the components in front of you, you can then decide how to mount. :) 
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 7:38:05 PM

^ Yeah I did see that one but didn't really like it because he compares it to his custom loop with double the rad so it's not really an even match lol. But then compared to air it absolutely blows it away which is nice.

EDIT: Nylon risers are a good idea although that means more holes in the case lol. Although I definitely need some for my car door speakers rofl.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 7:43:57 PM

Adding blocks and adding rads is almost a 1:1. When you introduce more heat watts into your loop, you need to also include a way for it to exit the loop. That Edge kit would work great for a CPU only loop with that radiator. Once you start adding more heatload to the loop, you need to add more radiator space.

It's possible you could run that 220 rad and a CPU/GPU without an additional rad, but your temps would be higher. You could counter this by running higher CFM fans in push/pull on the rad...this would be pushing it. I'd have to check the watts kicked out from that CPU and GPU and then check Skinnee's rad charts to see what can be dispersed from a MCR320 and scale it to a MCR220 in order to determine the heat ceiling.

Edit: I think he means use the spacers in lieu of the Radbox. You just need to offset it from your case.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 7:50:52 PM

Yeah, I know it would need more rad for the GPUs of course. Like I've said that wouldn't be for a long time. I think this Swiftech kit is good though because it's a top end CPU block, top end pump, and a good rad (although I can't find a review on this rad specifically, I would assume it's close to the MCR220 QP) so whenever the time comes I can add to it rather than having to replace a bunch of stuff. It's $50 more than the RASA 220 kit, but it seems like it's got more future upgradeability.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 7:59:32 PM

That rad is based off the MCR220-QP. All of Swiftech's rads are basically the same design, just expanded for larger area. This is unlike XSPC, for instance, with their RS and RX line of radiators. The RS resembles the MCR line for Swiftech (thinner profile), while the RX series closely resembles the Thermochill line of rads (thicker).

That MCP35x pump would be the selling point for me.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 8:08:09 PM

Cool, thanks for the input. Just looking at their site,
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCR-DRIVE-rev2.asp

The MSRP on the rad/pump combo is $213 lol. Seems like a damn good deal for getting it all at $210! Although I'll probably add a couple clamps and new hose to it, but that stuff is pretty cheap :D 
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 8:14:13 PM

Buying straight from Swiftech isn't the most cost effective solution and they typically take a lot longer to deliver to the end user. They usually deal mainly with distribution to vendors and e-tailers.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 8:21:37 PM

Yeah, I know. I'd be getting it from NCIX if it's the way I decide to go. Like I said it's $90 off right now for the kit so I mean that's a really good deal.

Thanks for all the help.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 8:22:25 PM

Best answer selected by wolfram23.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 5, 2011 8:23:14 PM

No problem. Let us all know how it goes. Good luck.
m
l
!