Performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3

szbxa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Hi guys
i was looking at a couple of AMD cpus and some support both DDR2 and DDR3 memory. like PII X3 720. is there any performance difference if i put a DDR3 or DDR2 on it? do anyone know some articals about that? can you link me to it? or just tell me. thank you.

Solution
Hello :)
Here is a good article:
http://xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr3.html

"True, on the one hand DDR3 SDRAM cannot take the system performance to another level. The tests showed that the newest DDR2 SDRAM can provide the same level of performance as the currently available DDR3 SDRAM. In fact, the results of our benchmarks indicate an approximate parity between systems equipped with DDR2-1066 SDRAM and DDR3-1333 SDRAM. And since DDR3-1333 SDRAM is not only the fastest memory in the market today, but also the fastest memory that Intel P35 based platforms support, it doesn’t make any sense even for computer enthusiasts who care about every additional percent of extra performance to transfer to DDR3 SDRAM at this time."

In...
Hello :)
Here is a good article:
http://xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr3.html

"True, on the one hand DDR3 SDRAM cannot take the system performance to another level. The tests showed that the newest DDR2 SDRAM can provide the same level of performance as the currently available DDR3 SDRAM. In fact, the results of our benchmarks indicate an approximate parity between systems equipped with DDR2-1066 SDRAM and DDR3-1333 SDRAM. And since DDR3-1333 SDRAM is not only the fastest memory in the market today, but also the fastest memory that Intel P35 based platforms support, it doesn’t make any sense even for computer enthusiasts who care about every additional percent of extra performance to transfer to DDR3 SDRAM at this time."

In terms of performance in games/apps the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 isn't much.

Solution

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
the main beneficiary of ddr3 is the server platform , they have 12/18/24/32 etc memory modules running and ddr3 consumes lower power of a few watts but which adds up when u are using so many modules . and server power consumption is highly important in a 24x7 environment because of power cost/cooling issues as cooling itself takes up both space and power.

as an example of this performance -heat-space-cooling chain in a server environment is for example fermi , which nvidia will market as lower heat and power consumption and space requirement and much higher performance than say , a greater number of x86 processors .

for desktops , the gains of going from ddr2 to ddr3 except for compatibility are far less important than , for example , the gpu or cpu one is using . using only 2/3 modules the power saving isn't significant .

but again , in notebooks , lower voltage ddr3's will consume less , which will matter very much . the first ddr3's were 1.65 or even higher , 1.5v have come up recently , and 1.35 v are cropping up slowly and these will make a big difference in notebook where every watt , so to say , is important to conserve .

if ur buying new , just get ddr3 , for compatibility and lower prices in the future , as ddr2 will only go up in prices from now and wont be supported on most of the new mobo's .

edit : even though u've selected the best answer AS i was writing the above , i guess now whether u'll even read this post .

szbxa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

i've just read your post. and i've already decided to go 4 DDR3. and thank you 4 your help and time.

novice123_78

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

i am a novice even tho i have had a mac for ten years. i am anticipating buying a new macbook or a macbook pro. one of the questions i had , you answered and very well i must say. now to determine whether i want a silver one or a white one ;)