Sign in with
Your question

My WD 2TB external hdd shows up in the disk management but cannot be initilized

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2011 5:31:28 PM

My external WD 2TB hard drive wont show up in my computer but does under disk management (Windows 7 ultimate).
When i try to initialize it. it says Media is write protected.
please help.
January 24, 2011 9:49:09 AM

I found this on another website, might be of some help:

From command prompt run:

Quote:
diskpart

then select the drive, and then the volume, then run:

Quote:
Attributes volume clear readonly

You should then be able to initialise the disk.
Related resources
January 24, 2011 1:08:10 PM

baddad said:
Right click on my computer, then manage, then disk management.

Read the title.. "..but cannot be initilized"
January 24, 2011 1:14:00 PM

It dosnt show up on disk part??
a c 415 G Storage
January 24, 2011 3:52:59 PM

- Start -> right-click "My Computer" -> click "Manage"

- Click "Disk Management" in the left pane

- Scroll down to the bottom of the middle pane and locate your drive among the disk space maps

- Right-click on the left portion of the drive section to partition and format it.

If you don't scroll to the bottom of the middle pane you may not see the new drive, and if you right-click in the wrong portion of the space map then you won't get the correct options.
a c 277 G Storage
January 24, 2011 4:15:19 PM

Let me butt in and point out that the original post says "When i try to initialize it, it says Media is write protected. " So instructions on normal use of Disk Manager will lead to the same message. Qn is how to either convince Windoze to init it anyway, or remove the write lock. Let's hope that Acer's approach works.

Sorry, I can't answer that one.
a c 415 G Storage
January 24, 2011 9:52:03 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Let me butt in and point out that the original post says "When i try to initialize it, it says Media is write protected. "
Duh! Should have noticed that, obviously... :ange: 

What model of external hard drive is it? I don't suppose there's any chance that there's a write protect switch on it somewhere, is there?
January 24, 2011 10:38:12 PM

reboot ? if that fails, which it may:

you may need to use a fresh OS install CD to remove any system files or swap files. I'd recommend booting up to an OS DVD with just the new drive connected.
a c 277 G Storage
January 24, 2011 11:51:00 PM

sminlal said:
Duh! Should have noticed that, obviously... :ange: 

My greatest recent oversight was telling someone that I couldn't possibly answer the question unless s/he posted the make/model of the motherboard. Which was actually in the original post. Oops.
January 25, 2011 8:54:59 PM

Can the drive be put into a USB / eSATA / FireWire enclosure at all? Mabye try to format the HDD that way or put it into another computer?

Have you tried formatting the drive from a DOS command?

You can download DOS 6 and run it from a USB stick, and then format a drive in that.
May 22, 2011 9:34:06 PM

The Best Ever Solution From My Side Is Replace The Cable . I Discovered it a minute ago . :D 
ENjoy
December 22, 2011 2:41:46 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I think this is a common issue. One item of note with WD external hard drives is the special software on them. The software can put a "password" on them them which makes them unable to be changed by diskpart or disk manager. One needs to install the WD Smartware software in order to remove the password and reinitialize the disk.
March 26, 2014 9:25:45 AM

jwestpfahl said:
I know this is an old thread, but I think this is a common issue. One item of note with WD external hard drives is the special software on them. The software can put a "password" on them them which makes them unable to be changed by diskpart or disk manager. One needs to install the WD Smartware software in order to remove the password and reinitialize the disk.

Even though you knew this was an old thread, sometimes those are the most valuable. I dont see why old threads get locked or deleted, unless it's been solved and verified it should never be. I'm very glad you still posted because this is all I needed. I downloaded the WD Universal Firmware Updater for Windows (http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=125&...) and this was all I needed to do to fix this problem for me. If you hadnt posted, I would still be wasting hours of my time trying to get around the lock, unsuccessfully...

Thank you!
!