Better hybrid SSD than Seagate Momentus XT?

anghammarad

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Howdy,
I'm wondering with this recent CES and everything if there's a better inexpensive storage solution for a laptop than Seagate's Momentus XT SSD hybrid.

someone care to drop some knowledge?

anghammarad

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

does anybody have a thought on this yet? I'm thinking I might bite the bullet soon.

I'm a Toms Hardware Paladin or something now, maybe I can get some attention to me question

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Thats pretty much it unless you go the two drive route and get a SSD. I wouldn't say either option is inexpensive. Definitely a premium on performance storage.

Keep an eye out for HyperDuo capable motherboards in the near future for a similar hybridized storage setup.

anghammarad

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
awh, you used lmgtfy.com… 
I didn't know HyperDuo was a relevant term to my question.
i suppose you're 'wribbs-ing' me, wribbs, it's your nature

btw, it was a 'Lieutenant badge' i was thinking of.

anghammarad

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
tom's hardware just sent me a message asking if I'd select a 'best answer', so I'll rejoining the conversation to share we're i'm at.
The kind of question I was asking is one of technology forecasting, and product roadmaps I suppose. I recognize that it might be unlikely that people who would have this sort of information would be likely to share it. At the same it it's possible to construct this sort of picture… and that's what I'm looking to hear back about - does anyone know something about this or point me to a resource for this sort of thing. As an example of what I'm talking about take a look at this buyer's guide for apple products: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

from what I can tell the Seagate Momentous XT was first released in May 2010… maybe I can wait till may & get something like a 750GB drive w/ a 16GB SSD component?

anyway, wikipedia's page on hybrid drives has been the most helpful here by pointing out that hitachi will be bringing to market some hybrid offerings this year as well…

thanks guys