Sign in with
Your question

Sata hdd not recognized sometimes in bios

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2011 12:25:36 AM

Hello,
My 250 gb seagate sata hdd is not recognized sometimes in bios. I have to restart many times, to get it detected. Once it gets detected, the OS (XP/W7)on it, boots smoothly. This problem occurs even during restarts. I suspect it as a hardware problem. Is there any solution other than sending the drive to manufacturer?
Thanks & regards,
-Nayan
a c 311 G Storage
January 24, 2011 4:21:01 PM

I have two suggestions. First, remove and re-insert the three cable connections (power and data to the drive, data to the mobo). A loose connection can cause this issue; I used to have an SATA cable that could work loose.

And just in case the drive is busted, once you do have the system running download Seatools and test the drive.

*WARNING* The following procedure may result in a non-booting system.
If you haven't done any BIOS configuration, you might reload defaults in the BIOS and then set your boot order again.

These are all guesses.
m
l
January 25, 2011 12:24:38 AM

Hi WyomingKnot,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have already tried your first two suggestions.

One of my Tech friends gave me a sata cable having lockable ends. (The original one with HD didn't have those.) The problem seemed to settle for good, but reappeared after a while.

Seatools seemed to help in the beginning. The dos version removed the bad sectors, & the boot problem didn't occur for quite a long period (say 2-3 months). I have made it a habit to run windows seatools regularly. If the test fails, I run the dos version to rectify the bad sectors. The test was successful yesterday, but the problem continues. Today, it booted at the 7th attempt!

One thing to add is, a peculiar distinct sound (different from fan or HD spinning) is heard at bootup. The pc refuses to boot, come-what-may, when this sound is heard. It boots only when this sound in not there.

I will try the BIOS defaults now. The hitch is, the system doesn't allow me to enter bios setup till the hd is detected.

m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 25, 2011 1:08:50 AM

RMA the drive
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
January 25, 2011 10:26:43 AM

Your drive is failing! Run, do not walk, to the nearest computer store, buy another, and "clone" your drive to the new drive.

Anonymous1 got it right, but I consider getting a copy on a working drive to be more important than getting a replacement drive.
m
l
January 25, 2011 12:36:47 PM

Yes, I think it's high time to do so! I have already used this HD for over a year with this problem. Good thing is I have 80 GB PATA HD as a backup, which is much more reliable.

Thanks for your suggestions friends!
m
l
!