Sign in with
Your question

Driver issues in XP x64

Last response: in Systems
May 24, 2009 3:17:41 PM

*sigh* Im tired and dont want to search anymore. I hate asking others to find answers for me, makes me feel lazy. But alas, i have no choice.

Ive read a lot, and there are conflicting views on XP x64. Some love it for its stability and say it works great with everything. Others despise it and say it doesnt support anything. I find it to be an excellent OS, but do agree that the support sucks.

I have a Linksys Wireless G network adapter. WUSB54G version 4 i believe. Linksys does NOT provide x64 drivers. i tried "third party drivers" since I saw somewhere they worked, but no, not for me. I installed the drivers, and while the network adapter's control panel finally worked, it was "disabled" and i found no way to get it to work. I've been working on this all night, and im exhausted.

I spent the last 2 weeks building this computer. it plays games unlike any machine ive used, and its amazingly fast in every way, but with College starting in 4 days, i NEED internet. Oh, and College, Computer build, and recent birthdays have left me with no money, so the cheapest fix would be best. If you think you can help at all, please try. ANY help and input will be appreciated. If you need more specs on my system, just ask.

More about : driver issues x64

May 24, 2009 3:31:10 PM

Here are the specs anyway. no reason to make this take longer asking for them:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
MOBO - Foxconn A74MX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
RAM - 1GB
CD/DVD drive - Brand new SONY, dont know exact information
PSU - 250W from a Gateway 3310. Not sure what the other info is, but can dig it up if needed

As I said, im running XP 64 bit. its the Professional edition, and has Service Pack 2 I believe. The only programs I've installed on the computer are Adobe Reader, and the programs that came on my Foxconn Driver CD (minus Norton Antivirus, as it is a satanic program that shouldn't exist) so shouldn't be issues with other software.
May 24, 2009 4:24:26 PM

have you tried the 32bit drivers?

I know that vista64 will also support 32bit applications and drivers so it's worth a try.

and it might be worth updating to SP3.
Related resources
May 24, 2009 4:32:15 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
have you tried the 32bit drivers?

I know that vista64 will also support 32bit applications and drivers so it's worth a try.

and it might be worth updating to SP3.

When i installed the drivers using the CD, it said it finished successfully. Windows went on to prompt me that there were new programs installed, and the icon to start the Linksys monitor program thing was there, but nothing happened when I clicked it. The processes wouldnt even start. When I tried the "third party drivers" the program worked, and the processes had started, but it was "disabled" and wouldn't show me available wireless networks or let me change anything. In XP x32, installation went smooth every time. Never has this happened to me.
May 24, 2009 11:10:22 PM

Nevermind, I got it. Turns out having both the 32 bit drivers and 64 bit drivers were causing a problem. Sorry to waste anyones time. Stupidity on my part.
!