Sign in with
Your question

Is Crucial C300 128GB compatible w/ my EVGA 790i Ultra SLI?

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2011 3:34:31 AM

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a SSD and from the reviews that I've been looking at, it seems like the Crucial C300 is the fastest and best one.

Before I spring for one, I was wondering if anyone out there knows if it will support my motherboard: a Nvidia EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Motherboard? I don't know where to look on my motherboard's description to see if it'll support the SSD.

FYI:I'm currently running a GTX 280 with Intel Q6600

Or do the rest of you feel I should just scrap my motherboard and spring for a newer one and get a i5 processor?

Thanks!

a b V Motherboard
a c 283 G Storage
January 24, 2011 8:33:34 AM

Your motherboard has SATA III ports. The Crucial C300 is a SATA III ssd. The motherboard and ssd are compatible. No problem. It is not necessary to scrap your motherboard.
m
l
January 24, 2011 4:14:19 PM

actually...with the 790i ultra boards you do have a problem...Nvidia chipsets don't have ACHI...so you have to do things a little different. here's what I've found (I have the same motherboard and questions on SSD's as you):
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=384590&mpage=1
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 283 G Storage
January 25, 2011 1:35:38 AM

killagbear - What is the exact name of your motherboard? Is it just plain "EVGA 790i Ultra SLI" or is the name longer? Is there something that comes after the "Ultra SLI" in the name? Any chance you can identify the part number? The reason I ask is there were several variations of the board and some of the SATA configurations were different. Better still would be the EVGA part number.

japps2 - GEEZ! That was a very long thread you linked to. It took me a while to read all of it and digest it. It's also a very old thread from last May about trying to install an Intel ssd. Killagbear may only need to update the BIOS to install a Crucial ssd. Users have reported installing Crucial and OCZ ssd's without too much fuss.
m
l
!