Acer E380 4GB memory just stopped working

LinusVP

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Hi all.

I'm assuming I know the answer, but thought I'd check with your opinions.

I have an Acer E380 desktop with a EM61SM/EM61PM motherboard (which I'm very happy with by the way!). It originally had 1GB memory in it, which I bumped to 2GB, then after a year or so, upped it to 4GB ... DDR2 5300 PNY with the heat shielding on it (had to buy all four memory sticks the same though... it didn't like mixed ones).

Anyway, after about 8 months of running fine with 4gb, one day it just did constant long beeps when I booted it up. After a few hours or so of experimenting, I found it would boot with 2GB just fine, but not 4gb anymore. I kept swapping the memory boards in/out, and all 4 1gb boards worked fine, as long as I didn't go over 2gb.

So, it worked, but 2GB was a lot slower in some apps than 4gb (Windows Vista). After tinkering again with it tonight, I've discovered that of the four memory slots (2 orange, 2 purple), it works fine with 3gb installed, as long as I don't use slot #2 (of 4). When I use slots 1, 3, 4 ... it works fine and shows 3gb. When I use slots 1, 2, 3, 4 ... I get beeps and no boot. When I use slots 2, 3, 4... I get beeps and random dots on the screen. SO, I'm assuming that something just happened (by itself??) to slot #2 ?? Does that sound possible that it just quit one day?

Thanks in advance for your answers!