Sign in with
Your question

Computer wont boot after installing new Intel Processor

Last response: in CPUs
August 28, 2009 6:44:08 PM

I attempted to install an "Intel Core 2 Quad" processor into my mother board.

After the cpu and heat sink were in place, I went to turn on the computer.

The computer will power on all fans, but then turns itself off almost immediately.

I inspected the pins underneath the CPU and found that there is a small amount of thermal grease between them.

I am using "Arctic Silver".

How do I remove the thermal grease from the pins? And could this be the cause of my problem?
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2009 6:47:15 PM

It could be the cause. What motherboard are you using?
August 28, 2009 6:50:31 PM

I am using a Nvidia 680 i motherboard.
Related resources
August 28, 2009 6:52:59 PM

What's the motherboard make and model?
Did you update the BIOS before upgrading?
What was in there previously?

Yes, thermal paste between the CPU and motherboard is a HUGE issue.
August 28, 2009 6:54:27 PM

I did not update the Bios before upgrading.

Previously I had a Core 2 duo e6600 chip.

Motherboard is an Nvidia 680i
August 28, 2009 6:59:10 PM

Aracton said:
Nvidia 680i

That's the chipset\northbridge, I want to know what motherboard it is attached to. It would be helpful because we could look up processor support and BIOS update information.
August 28, 2009 7:02:50 PM

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

August 28, 2009 7:04:19 PM

Which Core 2 Quad are you attempting to install?

Thanks!
August 28, 2009 7:11:07 PM

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 12M Cache 1333 MHZ FSB
August 28, 2009 7:13:46 PM

Aracton said:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 12M Cache 1333 MHZ FSB

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a Yorkfield. Your motherboard manufacturer says that it will not work with your motherboard.

Sorry bro.
August 28, 2009 7:17:04 PM

Le Sigh. It looks like you are correct. I don't see it under the supported Processors.

Thank you for the help. Any suggestions on removing the thermal grease from the pins?
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2009 7:56:16 PM

I got a suggestion, throw that piece of *** 680i away and buy a new mobo this time dont get grease in the pins.
August 29, 2009 12:27:08 AM

Aracton said:
Le Sigh. It looks like you are correct. I don't see it under the supported Processors.

Thank you for the help. Any suggestions on removing the thermal grease from the pins?

I have no idea...

Also, on the processor support page it actually explicitly says Yorkfield won't work.
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 12:31:29 AM

Aracton said:

Well, normally I'd say take a q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol to get rid of it, but since it's in the pins, I'm not sure.

Which kind of Arctic Silver are you using? Arctic Silver 5, or Ceramique? Ceramique shouldn't hurt to leave a bit down there, but if it's the stuff with the silver in it, I'd clean it all off. Maybe try a toothpick. :/ 
August 29, 2009 2:35:24 AM

Aracton said:

My friend at Intel told me they use Flux Off to clean out any thermal grease that gets into the socket pins. You just spray it into the socket and the Flux Off will dissolve the thermal grease and wash it away without leaving a residue on the board.
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 2:51:37 AM

Yeah, it's a pain to clean without bending the pins. Didn't know about the Flux Off so I don't know if I would try that myself. Anyway I used cotton, alcohol, and a toothpick the one time that happened on an LGA 775 board. Not fun.

Next time make sure that the motherboard supports the CPU you are trying to put in there. Also, be careful with the thermal paste.
!