Clock falls behind 3 seconds per day - fix?

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I'm finding myself every month or 2 having to reset the clock on my computer because it's noticeably behind. On average, it falls behind about 3 1/2 to 4 seconds each day. Over the course of a month, it's offset by a very noticeable 2 minutes and it causes me to miss the beginnings of some shows on TV if I use it instead of my other nearby clocks which don't have this problem. Is there a way that this can get fixed, as in, slightly speeding up the clock (a factor of 1.0000405 to 1.0000463)? This has been going on since I got my new motherboard and since then, I've now had to reset the clock by adding 1 1/2 to 2 minutes 3 times. The most recent case (barely 5 minutes ago) was where I needed to add 112 minutes to the clock.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
The time zone doesn't have anything to do with this. If the time zone was the culprit, it'd be off by not a few seconds or minutes, but hours.

I reset the clock about 15 hours and it's already behind by 3 3/4 seconds. I'm looking at a clock that automatically sets itself with the seconds showing, of which I'll refer to as the auto-setting clock. I clicked "apply" when the computer clock and the auto-setting clock were exactly the same. Now, 15 hours later, I see my computer's clock change when 3 3/4 extra seconds have passed on my auto-setting clock.

For example, let's say it's 9:30 PM where I'm at right now, based on the auto-setting clock. If my computer clock changes to 9:31, I'm seeing my auto-setting clock at 9:31:03. There are no tenths of a second, so I'm estimating that as about 3.7. Tomorrow, at about this time, when my computer clock changes to 9:31 PM, my auto-setting clock will be 9:31:07 meaning that my computer clock is 7 seconds behind. Should this go on for a week, the computer clock will be behind by rather significant 24 seconds, of which turns into about 1 3/4 minutes over the course of a month, so much off that I need to reset the computer clock again. It's been 3 months since I got this new motherboard and if I haven't reset the clock 3 times already, it'd be off by 6 whole minutes. My auto-setting clock may show 9:30 PM, but my computer clock will show 9:24 PM, a huge difference. A wrong time zone setting cannot explain that.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I've only had the motherboard for 3 months and I bought brand new from Newegg. However, I'm not finding motherboard batteries on Newegg.... I search for "motherboard battery" in "all stores" and the only thing that turns up are cables which makes no sense.... Where can I get such batteries and how much do they cost (about - the general idea is good enough)?