Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking stores?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 6, 2011 1:54:45 PM

Hi,
I need to try OC my I7 920 since every game i play is using 95+ of my CPU the whole time, to get the full use out of my dual 570s i want to overclock till i save enough cash to maybe get a new better CPU.
Anyone know of any stores who will install a new cooler, and overclock my CPU for me?
Every store i have been to refuse to OC my CPU for obvious reasons, i just don't want to do it myself because i have never done it before and am scared i will damage something.
Which aftermarket cooler would you recommend?
What is a good price for one too?
TX in Auburn had a massive one for $100 bucks.
Also, what is the recommended temperature for a I7 to be running in idle and under load?
My CPU only uses the standard fan ATM, so i need to get a new fan but need to find someone to do it for me.
Thanks.

More about : overclocking stores

a c 280 K Overclocking
a c 158 à CPUs
April 6, 2011 2:40:13 PM

1- If you CPU use rise until 95%, then you have a problem.
2- Why not do it yourself? You learn and save money in that way.
3- What budget for the cooler? $30 for a Hyper 212+ or $90 for a NH-D14.
4- idle temps and load temps depends of your ambient temp, what temps are your getting?
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2011 3:34:47 PM

I realize your scared of messing something up because i was the same back when i first started getting into this.Their are plenty of videos on youtube that will tell you how to do anything computer realted.You can also ask around because many people will help you work it out.

I would reccomend the NH-D14 but thats more of a advanced cooler for extreme O.C.ing and i don't think your quite ready for that yet.Start with something simple like a Hyper212+ or the Xigmatek SD128264 Aegir.Both of those coolers are very good cooler from an entry level perspective.And will give you a lot better results than your current stock heatsink.

When O.C.ing you must be aware of what your CPU's max temp is and make sure not to exceed it.Since you don't have an unlocked multiplier it will be more delicate in trying to O.C.I suggest reading some O.C.ing guides in the O.C.ing section of Tom's.Don't forget their are plenty of people that will help you learn to O.C.
I'm not very familair with Intel so my help can only go so far.
Related resources
April 6, 2011 3:58:54 PM

Thanks for the tips.
I want to go for a good cooler 100 bucks maybe a little more because under load dunno what my CPU is but both 570s are running around 85 under full load and 50 on idle.
I got a fairly small case a antec 900 and the bad thing about the ASUS P6T deluxe is the PCIEx16 ports are together, so i have to have both cards right next to each other instead of introducing a gap so i need as much cooling as possible.

So if i end up overclocking that's going to push that even higher, so might as well get the best cooler i can and leave it at that.

Wont be saving much if i do it myself because every time i have asked someone to install something for me, most i have been charged is 25 bucks so i assume CPU cooler and OC will be similar.
If i can find someone id rather spend the extra 25 and have the security that a professional did it instead of me.
Have to do some research and see who i can go to, got a while wont be able to go in till saturday.

I cant understand why that is, playing assassins creed brotherhood tonight and in the 2 hours i played i never saw it drop below 80%.
Nvidia thinks thats why i am getting such low FPS in the game, I'm lucky if i see 20FPS which is why i want to overclock my CPU because they say if i do i should see closer to 40 FPS.

Need to check my RAM speeds too, its DDR3 but cant remember what the speeds are.
I have a thermaltake 750W PSU, would that be enough to generate a reliable overclock?
Want to get around 3.5 if i can, a friend of mine has his at 4GHz with similar case and fans, if i can get that great but ill be happy with 3.5.

O, BTW wanted to ask how can you check if SLI is properly setup?
I installed the SLI cable, enabled it in the Nvidia control panel enabled the show SLI icon in game, but nothing is shown.
I have read you need to flick a switch on the motherboard, but my manual did not mention that and i cant see any switches so is that true?
Only switches on the board are the power and reset buttons that's it.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 6, 2011 4:24:56 PM

You might have a lot of background program running.That could explain your unusal high CPU useage.And for your temps it would make sense that with x2 GTX570's in one case would cause temps to rise,without proper airflow it could cause other componets to heat up a bit.But at 85c under load those are pretty good temps for those cards
I know you have the 900 and it provides really good cooling but maybe you should think about installing some better fans.But before you think about doing that you should replace your cooler.Even with the stock cooler you will see high temps,thats normal.

Try this...go to "Accesoriess" and select "Run".When the box pops up type in "msconfig".When that opens select "Diagnostic startup" and then reboot.
If you do have unwanted programs running and thats what's causing your CPU useage to be so high that will stop all programs but the esstential Windows programs.

I'm pretty sure your PSU can handle a O.C. plus everything else.Maximum rated power conumption for x2 GTX570's is 450watts.So you add everything else and you at about 650watts.You should just squeeze by.

I'm not famialir with Nvidia cards or SLI try asking those questions in the graphics card section.You should have an answer really fast.Very active in that thread.
April 7, 2011 12:41:38 PM

Thanks for that.
I was mistaken I have the 850W PSU not 750 so hopefully i should breeze by.
There's nothing running in the background though, only thing running in the background is EVGA afterburner which I'm using for my FPS, temp and card usages.
Also as soon as i exit ACB my CPU usage drops to 4%, just seems like ACB is a seriously CPU intensive game, because as soon as i exit that i go from 80+ CPU usage to 4.

I was worried id cook my cards if there constantly at 85.
Might see if i can get another large fan installed on the side of the case instead of having the clear perspex, i only have one large one at the top, one smaller one on the front and a small one at the back.
Need to try get a CPU cooler and OC first though, which is going to be interesting now because of some stupid reason my monitor now refuses to turn on before i get into windows!
Was not like that before, just tonight every time i reset the computer if i try turn the monitor on manually or switch inputs then switch back i get a no signal detected error till i am at the profile loading screen.
So that makes it impossible to get into the BIOS till i get that fixed.
Also, forgot to mention what my CPU temps are.
40 degrees at idle, and 60 under full load.
I found a Noctua C12P-SE14 are they suppose to be any good?
MSY has them in stock and fitted for $95.
Or the XIGMATEK S126384 1366 CPU COOLER 2 X 12CM coolermaster Fan for $120 installed.

April 12, 2011 12:15:20 AM

I OCd my CPU last night, got it to 3.4Ghz but as soon as i saved my BIOS settings the PC reset itself and i got stuck at the loading asus gate text.
Turned it off after 10 minutes, left it for a few minutes, then turned it back on and same thing.
So i left it, did a little research and found allot of people having the same problem but only solution was to turn it off in the BIOS.
So i turned my PC on again after about 30 minutes since the last power off, and i actually got into windows.
Everything worked fine, ran prime 35 for a few hours no problems, CPUZ was showing a 3.4GHz clock.
So i played a little assassins creed brotherhood, but strangely saw no performance increase still using 100% CPU and a average of 35FPS.
Played that for about 3 hours, turned the PC off, and this morning turned it back on and my overclock is gone.
what the?
Is this normal?
I thought once you OC in the BIOS its there for good, is there any way i can keep it there for good instead of having to OC every time i boot?

Also, what temp increase would i see if i went to 3.8?
I want to try go to 3.8 if i can, but load CPU temp is around 60 degrees is that too high for another safe clock, or should i be ok?
Thanks.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2011 11:38:46 PM

Why are those coolers so expensive? Where are you shopping?When using the BIOS to OC those settings are saved after you press F10 then enter when exiting BIOS...If they are lost on reboot it is due to the CMOS battery being dead(its a little watch battery on the MOBO)...As far as the excessive CPU usage during gaming, I believe it would be due to background programs running as that CPU on that game should be around 50-65% with ACB....60c on that CPU is good....Get a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ when you get a chance....Tempetures are more attributed to voltage than clockspeed..yet you need voltage to maintain higher clocks that where the added heat comes in....Safe clocks are in the eye of the beholder...Safety is a perception thing...J/K..I would be looking into what is the highest safe voltage that you could use on that CPU.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2011 12:01:04 AM

nick_89 said:
I OCd my CPU last night, got it to 3.4Ghz but as soon as i saved my BIOS settings the PC reset itself and i got stuck at the loading asus gate text.
Turned it off after 10 minutes, left it for a few minutes, then turned it back on and same thing.
So i left it, did a little research and found allot of people having the same problem but only solution was to turn it off in the BIOS.
So i turned my PC on again after about 30 minutes since the last power off, and i actually got into windows.
Everything worked fine, ran prime 35 for a few hours no problems, CPUZ was showing a 3.4GHz clock.
So i played a little assassins creed brotherhood, but strangely saw no performance increase still using 100% CPU and a average of 35FPS.
Played that for about 3 hours, turned the PC off, and this morning turned it back on and my overclock is gone.
what the?
Is this normal?
I thought once you OC in the BIOS its there for good, is there any way i can keep it there for good instead of having to OC every time i boot?

Also, what temp increase would i see if i went to 3.8?
I want to try go to 3.8 if i can, but load CPU temp is around 60 degrees is that too high for another safe clock, or should i be ok?
Thanks.

If the computer won't even boot then it means the settings are to unstable.In order for it to work again you have to reset the BIOS to factory defaults.2 ways to do that.One is to reset it using jumper cables.What I find the easiest and the 2nd way is to take out the battery,take it out for about a couple mins and then re insert it.Should be good to go.
!