Sign in with
Your question

SATA disk issues

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2011 11:45:25 AM

Hello, I have a bit of a problem here.

My mainboard has both (P)ATA and S-ATA connectors.

ATA is working completely the way it is supposed to.

For S-ATA I've been told that I need to install a separate driver from a floppy disk, before Windows starts (I know the procedure, hit F6, etc...)

The thing that troubles me is that it appears my floppy drive died in one of many power-surges.

So my question is: can I take this software burn it on a CD and than run the setup from there, or the floppy is the only answer? I really could use +500 GB :D 

Mainboard: MSI KT6V-LSR CoreCell ()

Hard Disk: Western Digital Blue WD5000AAKX 7200rpm 16MB buffer, 500 GB storage (476.8 usable) SATA 6Gb/s (
)

Thanks to anyone responding to this thread.

More about : sata disk issues

a c 279 G Storage
January 24, 2011 12:02:37 PM

1) Most modern motherboards will happily read the drivers from a USB thumb drive.

1.5) If frequent power surges are destroying parts, invest in enough protection (surge suppressor, line-interactive UPS, whatever) to protect your equipment before you lose a hard drive with all your data.

2) Now, for the meaty part. What are you doing, and how long has this machine been running of a PATA drive? The reason that I ask is that the answers are different if you are
a) Adding a new drive for storage to a machine that is already running the OS off of the PATA drive.
b) Re-installing Windows to replace the PATA system disk with an SATA system disk.
c) Installing Windows for the first time.

For case a), if the drive is brand-new it may be already seen in the BIOS and only need to be partitioned and formatted. I posted a guide about this last week in Storage - General.

Also, even if drivers are needed (I'll go look at the mobo specs and edit this post), in case A) the drivers can be installed while Windows is running from the existing system drive. You only need F6 drivers if you are installing to the SATA drive and drivers are actually needed.

That link just takes me to their main page. I'll return with an edit once I can see if the drivers are really needed. In the meantime, take a look in the BIOS and see if the drive is seen.

Edit:

The specs say that the SATA controller is integrated into the chipset. Usually, this means that no drivers are needed. Did a CD come with the motherboard? If it did, any needed drivers should be on the CD.

Try going to this link: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/KT6V-SR--LSR.html#/?div=D... and downloading the VIA PIDE/SATA RAID Drivers & Utility. Install it in your current Windows, and see if the drive now appears. But first, do look for the drive both in the BIOS and in the Disk Manager, to see if it merely needs to be partitioned and formatted. Take a look at this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom... if you need help.
January 24, 2011 12:09:31 PM

Power surges only destroyed the floppy, nothing else. I mean, I have replaced GPU and RAM, but only cause I wanted better hardware than GF4.

I am now reading some guides on how to integrate drivers for SATA into WinXP installation, but if I have WinXP already, can I just create a bootable disk with only drivers on that disk (just like in case of memtest86)
Related resources
a c 279 G Storage
January 24, 2011 3:05:51 PM

If you already have a running WinXP, and want to install drivers into that instance of WinXP, you don't need a floppy or thumb drive. You can install the drivers while XP is running.

The only time you need drivers on removable media is while you are installing the OS (or special cases like diagnostics). When the OS is installing, the point is that you need to install the drivers _before_ the OS can be installed. Once you have a running OS, you install the drivers inside the OS.

I would still check the BIOS and Disk Manager for the presence of the drive before mucking around with drivers. Also, open Device Manager and see if the drive shows up under Disks or as a yellow exclamation point.
January 24, 2011 4:03:52 PM

The thing is, I have installed the drivers, and when I connect the drive it halts my boot up process :(  I have D-LED onboard diagnostic device, that signals 'reading of IDE controllers'.

With the drivers installed, I just cannot see SATA 1-x devices in BIOS :/ 

One thing got resolved: my floppy drive had loose cables, it works now.
One thing got complicated: my DVD-RW isn't detecting a WinXP boot CD, from which I've installed current Windows.
!