Sign in with
Your question

What hard drive should I get

Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2011 1:05:53 PM

Hello,

I've got 2 questions.

I've read on this forum that Western Digital are about the best hard drives you can get. So I want to buy one of these

WD AV-GP WD10EVVS
WD Caviar Black WD7502AAEX

But I can't find any reviews.

My system specs are:

Quote:

PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 600W

PROC: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 Socket 1336LGA @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
http://azerty.nl/0-912-212478/proc [...] e-i7-.html

MOBOAsus Rampage III Gene x58
http://azerty.nl/0-844-307295/asus [...] ublic.html
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/06/10 11:34:41 Ver: 08.00.15

GPUNVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Display Memory: 4069 MB Dedicated Memory: 869 MB Shared Memory: 3199 MB

MEMORY: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHZ PC12800 Memory (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)

HARDDRIVE Western Digital 1TB SATA 7200RPM

OPTICAL DVD +RW/-RW burner

I was wondering, is there a better option for a medium to high performance drive of at least 7200RPM and 750gb-1tb space. Or is this pretty much the best you can get for under 100 euro. This one is 76 euro at my trusted vendor.

The reason I want a new hard drive because this one has performance issues and sometimes just goes to 0 transfer rate (as in freezing) and then continues after 2 minutes kicking me from games and making me extremely frustrated. I checked with HD tune pro which didn't spot any problems with the hard drive itself but did show me a 0 transfer rate when it froze up (not sure if it's a hard drive issue or PSU issue but replacing every component in my computer until I found the problem (so far new memory, CPU, Mobo and no luck fixing the problem). It's not overheating or whatever simple explanation, have had this problem for half a year now and finally got enough money to swap the last components aka Hard Drive and/or PSU.

(If this is too complicated, I'm sorry because I always write what I think basically)

Hope you guys can help me because I'm not really an expert when it comes to hard drives. :) 

Thanks

More about : hard drive

a c 311 G Storage
January 24, 2011 4:03:31 PM

1) It's possible that your "freezing hard drive" is related to other components - can I take it that the whole system becomes unresponsive?

The first drive you list is Green, the second Black. A Black, optimized for fast, will usually outperform a green, optimize for low power. I can't tell you if one has a better MTBF than the other.
January 24, 2011 9:42:34 PM

The system becomes unresponsive yes. It just freezes up. Can move my mouse but it's in loading sequence (if you know what i mean) so I can't click anything for about 2 to 3 minutes and then it continues like nothing ever happened.

But yes it could be other components. But the only components that can still be the problem are Hard Drive or PSU. Rest is either replaced or has nothing to do with it (GPU for instance can't be the source). I've been trying to figure it out for ages, been send all over the place to look. No luck and I'm just going to have to replace components and sell working components that weren't the cause until I find the bad component that is giving me this headache.

I'm going for Black then i guess because I need the best performance and it's only a loss of 250gb which I'm not using anyways (got an external harddrive of 1.5tb and I'm currently using a 1tb drive which is not full. The black one is exactly the same price as the green one so that's no issue.

If you have another suggestion for a great hard drive with nice performance please suggest them, can use all the help when it comes to hard drives I can get :) 

Thanks for the reply!
Related resources
January 24, 2011 10:36:34 PM

One of my old drives did that quite a bit - transfer rate would go to 0 every now and then. Checked SMART data and that said the drive was bogus - and the 0 rate was because transfers just resulted in an error. Still managed to recover all data before it went totally kaput.

Is the troubleshooting program reading SMART? (I would assume so if it's worth any!)
January 25, 2011 11:21:44 AM

SMART Check says it's oke, but when I do an error scan it says no blocks damaged, but if i click the speed test then it sometimes shows red dots aka very slow aka 0 transfer rate. As I said, it's extremely hard to pinpoint the exact component in my computer that is causing it. I'm just going to replace my hard drive with the Caviar Black and will order it tomorrow if I get no other suggestions.

If that doesn't solve it I'll buy a Corsair TX750W PSU. And if that doesn't solve it I'll throw my computer from the 3rd floor of my house, see if that solves the headaches ;) .

O btw, if I buy this caviar black WD drive that runs at 7200rpm, and it doesnt solve the issue (which mean the current drive isn't broken) can I then use this drive as the 2nd drive. So two harddrives 1 running at 7200rpm and the other 5400rpm, or do they need to have the same speed. I think I know the answer but I have to be sure ofcourse. thanks :) 
!