Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Practice Rig

Last response: in Overclocking
April 6, 2011 8:51:20 PM

Hey guys I know this might sound silly but Im actually seeking help to build a low-end rig to practice overclocking on. I know alot of you guys on here are very experienced and have great knowledge in this field this is more or less gonna be a pass time of mine, Im currently enrolled in a Network Engineering course and I love working on computers. Im not looking for anything fancy at all but something a can muster a significant overclock on, I heard AMD Black Editions are nice for overclocking and Intel E6550s are pretty good so which route should I take? The only components I have now are the case,a bunch on fans & a silverstone 650W PSU with 54A on the +12
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 7, 2011 12:13:38 PM

You may as well just build a regular computer. The problem with the Intel Core2 CPU's is that decent motherboards are getting scarce. A low end (economy) AMD board will waste the potential of the AMD BE CPU's. The same is true for the Intel i5-K's.

Just build the best system you can within your budget. Besides, unlike the Core2's and standard AMD CPU's, the K's and BE's are simple to overclock.
m
l
April 9, 2011 3:26:00 AM

Honestly My AM3 rig i have now is pretty high end for where i live to put things in perspective: Computer Store are still selling Pentium 4 CPUs for $150+ USD so I really would like to get a nice build to do some overclocking on
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2011 2:56:21 PM

Where do you live? A Pentium 4 CPU is really dated....$150.00 just for that processors is ridiculous...
m
l
April 14, 2011 7:49:22 PM

lowjack989 said:
Where do you live? A Pentium 4 CPU is really dated....$150.00 just for that processors is ridiculous...

I know it is thats y i cant buy components down here...I live in Antigua (a small little island in the Caribbean) thats y I was asking for help choosing a am2+ or lga 775 build because it outdated to you but cutting edge down here....i also wanted to dable with DIY watercooling which another thinking which is unheard of in my country =]
m
l
April 14, 2011 9:24:17 PM

I just started OC'ing my 775, but I just bought a 2500K, so my board and cpu are looking to retire to my son's machine, unless I sell them.

Have you checked ebay to see if there are any for sale?
m
l
April 14, 2011 10:10:34 PM

i shop from geeks.com and amazon.com for they are the few sites i trust and actually accept my credit card..sadly newegg.com & tigerdirect.com do not
m
l
!