HTPC Build - Mobo Decision

DrgnRebrn

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I am starting to design my first HTPC build. I've decided on an AMD-based system using a Phenom II X3 705e CPU. I've decided on going with a 790GX MB, but I am crossed between the Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H, the Asus M4A78T-E, & the MSI 790GX-G65 MBs. I have built systems over the last 10 years based off of both Asus & Gigabyte manufacturers, and honestly tend to favor Gigabyte over Asus simply because of their tendency to provide a more feature-rich offering for the price, my only experience with MSI is with graphics cards. However all three of these boards seem to have a fairly equal offering, as far as features go. So I'm turning to you for some end-user experience feedback on either card.

Solution
Is there a reason why you need a 790GX chipset? Are you planning crossfire?

Also, what is your budget, what parts do you need, what do you want the HTPC to do?

For brand preference, I've never had a problem with Asus and I have found Asus' onboard fan control to be superior and Asus seems to keep up with updates the best; Gigabyte is what I currently am using and I love their durability, quality, and feature set; my only MSI motherboard experience has left me bitter towards that brand.
Is there a reason why you need a 790GX chipset? Are you planning crossfire?

Also, what is your budget, what parts do you need, what do you want the HTPC to do?

For brand preference, I've never had a problem with Asus and I have found Asus' onboard fan control to be superior and Asus seems to keep up with updates the best; Gigabyte is what I currently am using and I love their durability, quality, and feature set; my only MSI motherboard experience has left me bitter towards that brand.

Solution

DrgnRebrn

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I chose the 790GX because of the capability to have an 8x8x crossfire setup. I am building this as cheap as possible, but I want the foundation to be as longlasting & upgradeable as it can be. I've actually seriously entertained the idea of going with a 785G board, and may still do so.

As far as what I want my HTPC to accomplish, the most important to me is to play BDs, 7.1 channel audio is not a concern right now. Secondly, I want to receive ATSC, ClearQAM, & NTSC stations with the ability to DVR 2 digital feeds at once. I have decided on a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 to provide this functionality; however I will just say that I really wish Toms Hardware would perform some reviews on TV Tuner cards. There are a lot of choices & it's difficult to find your way without knowing reliabilty, performance, & capabilities. Third, I want this to be able to play games. I am going to go with a Radeon 5770 video card for this. I am still debating on whether I will eventually put this in a crossfire setup or not. This, of course, will have quite an impact on whether I go with 790GX or 785G.

I have a budget of $780.