Acer BIOS password help?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2004 3:49:37 PM

Can someone please help me. I inherited an Acer Travelmate 660 laptop
when my brother passed away. I start it up and it ask's me for a
password. I did some searching on the net and it would seem that I am
encountering a BIOS security feature. I tried calling Acer and they
basically think I stole it. I read on the net to try and remove and
replace the CMOS battery. Has anyone attempted to dismantle a laptop?
Not fun. I did and I did not find a battery anywhere. I tried booting
from my Win xp cd, nope. It doesn't have a built-in floppy so I bought
one. Tried it and you guessed it...nope. I'm on my last attempt. I
removed the battery pack and am letting it sit without the battery for a
while although I don't think this will work either. Oh yeah, I also
tried some BIOS backdoor passwords that I found on the net and they
obviously didn't work either. ANy help/tips/pictures would be deeply
appreciated. Thanks

More about : acer bios password

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2004 3:49:38 PM

> Can someone please help me. I inherited an Acer Travelmate 660 laptop
> when my brother passed away. I start it up and it ask's me for a

I think this is likely to be difficult. The 660 was sold as being a
highly-secure laptop, IIRC (with support for smartcard
authentication). I doubt there is a simple backdoor.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2004 8:04:42 PM

Korupt wrote:

> Can someone please help me. I inherited an Acer Travelmate 660 laptop
> when my brother passed away. I start it up and it ask's me for a
> password. I did some searching on the net and it would seem that I am
> encountering a BIOS security feature. I tried calling Acer and they
> basically think I stole it. I read on the net to try and remove and
> replace the CMOS battery. Has anyone attempted to dismantle a laptop?
> Not fun. I did and I did not find a battery anywhere. I tried booting
> from my Win xp cd, nope. It doesn't have a built-in floppy so I bought
> one. Tried it and you guessed it...nope. I'm on my last attempt. I
> removed the battery pack and am letting it sit without the battery for a
> while although I don't think this will work either. Oh yeah, I also
> tried some BIOS backdoor passwords that I found on the net and they
> obviously didn't work either. ANy help/tips/pictures would be deeply
> appreciated. Thanks

Your moniker makes me a bit suspicious.

If, in fact, you did inherit this laptop, contact Acer. They'll
be more than happy to get you over this minor speedbump.

Larry
Related resources
April 11, 2004 2:00:03 PM

Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<40757841.DD855E2@spamcop.net>...

plonk

more like lglasser@nospurmofart
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2004 6:08:58 PM

I managed (unintentionnaly) to do what you are trying:

To save my (main) battery, I remove it when my power supply is fully
reliable, and I leave the machine without any power supply when I
don't use it. After several months, the Cmos battery just died and
the BIOS configuration was erased (including the BIOS passwords). In
this case it is possible to boot the machine in safe mode, by-passing
the smartcard authentication. Then it is also possible to unisnstall
the smartcard software (or to disactivate it). Good luck: it may take
months until the cmos battery dies...

July 18, 2011 1:31:06 PM

Sitting with the same problem for my Travelmate 4202WLWi. Am in Cape Town and needs to send the Laptop to Joburg. Pay for the courier cost and R570.oo to have the password reset.

I NORMALLY BUY LAPTOPS FOR THE TOP MANAGEMENT. PLEASE REMIND ME NEVER TO BY AN ACER AGAIN AS THIS PASSWORD THING SEEMS TO BE A COMMON THING WITH ACER.
!