Sign in with
Your question

Audigy (SB0090) or onboard audio

Last response: in Components
August 29, 2009 2:13:38 AM

Hi,

I have a GA-MA78GM-S2HP motherboard and I'm using the on board audio. In my parts bin I found an old Audigy (SB0090). From my research this looks like one of the original Audigys from about 2001.

My question to the forum: Would I gain anything by using this Audigy card over the internal audio on my GA-MA78GM-S2HP.

I notice sometimes when I'm burning DVDs that my sound drops out once in while and I'm thinking maybe using a separate card would help.

Thanks

Kevin
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2009 11:42:29 PM

I don't know about that sound dropping in and out, that could be CPU utilization is too high and sound is low priority. But the benefit of the sound card is sound quality, and potentially better drivers than the onboard sound.
September 2, 2009 4:21:15 AM

Onboard sound is only an option if it is the only option! Use the soundcard!
Related resources
September 2, 2009 2:36:25 PM

Thanks, since the sound card was quite old and the motherboard brand new I thought maybe the motherboard would be as good.

K.
October 5, 2009 5:58:40 PM

any updates on this endeavor, kushko? i'm debating the installation of a sb0090 SB Audigy onto a m4a785td-v evo motherboard, as i have been experiencing some crackeling audio with the on board sound...
October 5, 2009 6:50:31 PM

No update yet. The card is sitting on top of the case waiting for a few spare minutes.

K.
February 23, 2010 7:01:43 PM

Still no update? lol :p 
March 13, 2010 11:53:05 AM

Hi I was searching for the noiselevels of this card when I came across this old test of the SB0090 (Audigy) http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/audigyplatinumex/ and at the same site i found a test of the motherboard in question WITH AUDIO TEST http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/mainboard/asus-m4a785td-v...

In both articles you have to scroll down to find the noise and output tests. But for a short recap:

Audigy (superior to the VT1708s):

Noise level, dB (A): -91.1

Dynamic range, dB (A): 88.7

Stereo crosstalk, dB: -88.1

8 channel HDA codec VIA VT1708S:

Noise level, dB(A): -81.2

Dynamic range, dB(A): 81.2

Channel crosstalk, dB: -81.7
Best regards/ TerribleTurk
June 23, 2010 8:38:21 PM

wsiono said:
any updates on this endeavor, kushko? i'm debating the installation of a sb0090 SB Audigy onto a m4a785td-v evo motherboard, as i have been experiencing some crackeling audio with the on board sound...

I installed this card yesterday into my GA-EP35-DS3L motherboard with Realtek ALC888 onboard audio. There's definitely a noticeable sound difference. I can hear details I couldn't before.
I also get about 4% more FPS :p . Every little bit helps :) .

If you haven't installed it yet (I know, I'm late to the party lol) I'd go for it. Worst case scenario: you somehow don't like the sound, and uninstall it. Right?
!