Problem with USB ports running Windows 7 (GA-P35-DS3L)

stavarotti

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Hi everyone,

I am currently running Windows 7 64 bit and all my USB ports, for connected devices under the Device Manager, have an error that reads "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality."

I have tried the following:

- uninstalled and reinstalled the devices
- updated drivers for motherboard
- updated device drivers

The strangeness behind this issue is that my USB keyboard and mouse work perfectly fine. Any other devices however, do not work.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Its_Just_Me

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
How did this start, was it a fresh install and you noticed the problem or was it an upgrade. Have they ever worked in win7. Also you can try vista 64bit drivers thats what i had to do.

bilbat

Splendid
If you have not done it since atartup, or your last BIOS update, enter the BIOS and do the "Load Optimized Defaults" procedure, save, axit, reboot; Renter BIOS and do the following -

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

"USB Controller" to "Enabled"
"USB 2.0 Controller" to "Enabled"
"Legacy USB storage detect" to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"PME Event Wake Up" to "Disabled"
"Power On By Mouse" to "Disabled"
"Power On By Keyboard" to "Disabled"

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not 'auto')
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"

Save (<F10>), exit, reboot;

Get Intel chipset drivers 9.1.1.1020 here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8Clearance.aspx?sType=&agr=&ProductID=&DwnldID=10884&url=/10884/a08/INF_allOS_9.1.1.1020_PV.exe&PrdMap=&strOSs=&OSFullName=&lang=eng

See if it works :sol:

stavarotti

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried everything that you suggested but still get "Code 32" [A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality."] I also tried to restore the computer to an earlier time but that has not resolved the issue. I am confused however, that the keyboard, mouse, and infrared remote control continue to work fine given that they are USB devices as well. It appears that mass storage devices like flash drives and external hard drives are not working however, my ipod and iphone continue to work just fine.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks again.

bilbat

Splendid
Take a peek in your registry for me... (If you've never been there, type "regedit" [no quotes] into the search bar, and hit enter...)
Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services", and scroll to the bottom...
You should have a large unber of entries there that start with 'usb':
usbaudio
usbccgp
usbcir
usbehci
usbhub
usbohci
usbprint
USBSTOR
usbuhci
usbvideo
Check three things for each one:
1 - that the 'ImagePath' is 'well formed', i.e., not garbled, and they all point to either "system32\DRIVERS\" or "\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\"
2 - that the 'Type' item is set to "1" (will display as "0x00000001")
3 - that the 'Start' item is set to "3" (and I don't yet understand this, by my lights, it should be set to 0 or 1, but it might be different for drivers, and I discovered that I neglected to install the DDK the last time I 'humped in' 7...)

I assume this is a retail install, and not an one of the various RCs, or any kind of upgrade from RC to RTM?

stavarotti

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

Okay, so everything as you have stated checks out and there are no inconsistencies. All the values for imagepath, type, and start are set correctly. This is an RTM copy of Windows 7 from Microsoft Technet and the download hash matched accordingly.

Additionally, as previously suggested, I also tried vista 64 bit drivers to no avail. Nonetheless, my technical knowledge is relatively high so I am not afraid to mess around with the BIOS and/or registry :).

More suggestions are welcome, and thanks again for your your help thus far.

bilbat

Splendid
Nonetheless, my technical knowledge is relatively high so I am not afraid to mess around with the BIOS and/or registry :).
This is a good thing :lol: It does get frustrating, answering tech support issues, and running into 'issues' with the fix, and then issues with the issues to the fix, and on and on...

I have one more idea, and no confidence that it is the problem - but a nagging suspicion... If you've read here for any amount of time, you've seen some of my responses vis-à-vis the 'peculiar' problems that GB boards commonly have with certain USB devices:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261902-30-gigabyte-tale
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260350-30-gigabyte-ep45-problemo
and those are just representative; if I'd do a thorough search, I'm sure I could find at least twenty similar posts. The problem came to mind as I just experimented again, and posted this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265933-30-ds3l-boot-flash-drive
I have seen all manner of bizarre, 'can't be just that' symptoms, and am wondering if some sort of similar trouble is causing your install problem; I'm amused that it's the TechNet RTM, as that's exactly what I'm using, and have done at least a half-dozen reinstalls since its release - with nary any grief! Here's my suggestion: try removing all USB devices (even use PS2 rodent and kb, if available - although I have never yet [doesn't mean it won't happen] seen a USB problem traceable to either) and try a fresh install to see if the problem 'goes away'...