Distinguished
Okay so, around 3 years ago I got a system with the following specs:
-800fsb motherboard
-Intel Pentium D 2.8ghz
-2GB of 533mhz ram
-500watt PSU
-8800gts 640mb
-PCI-Express 16 interface for my GPU

-Well my point is, I feel as if my GPU is really getting bottlenecked by my processor and possibly my ram and the connection interface. I am building a new system and I was wondering if it will take off the bottlenecks I have on performane, here are its specs

-Intel core i7 920 2.7ghz
-Motherboard with 1600mhz FSB
-12GB of 1333mhz ram
-750watt psu
-PCI-Express 2.0 interface (the newer one)
-SAME GPU 8800gts 640mb

-will this setup eliminate my bottlenecks,and yes i know i have ridiculous amount of ram but I got a crazy deal on it and couldn't resist so ya.
-I am especially concerned with my processor because all my troubleshoots and stuff have pointed to it being extremely important for running 3d applications/games.

-Thanks for any help

the pentium d is probably holding back the 640 gts , which by todays standards is a low performance card .

The simple cheap upgrade is to check your mb makers website and see if any of the C2D processors are supported , and then spend a few more dollars on a gtx 260 or 4870 .

If you are building just for gaming its an utter waste of $ to buy a top of the range cpu/mb and keep the old gfx card .
Its also insane to use 12 gb of ram , unless you run VM's or 64 bit apps like CS4 . Gaming needs 3 and at most 6 gig for best results

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
My operating system will be vista 64BIT and I will be using Photo shop CS4 by the way....which takes up lots of ram. And as I said...I got an ABSOLUTE CRAZY DEAL on the ram....so I couldn't resist it!! DONT SAY ITS A WASTE CAUSE I GOT the 12gb for 150bucks a couple of weeks ago...6gb costs around 100 on the cheapest websites...here i got double the ram for half the price.
I kind of do need to the ram becuase i need to run multiple applications like games, internet, email, cs4, itunes, and other stuff, especially a real time stock market monitor which used to murder my system for the resources it needed, oh oh and visual studio also which can take a couple gigs.

-And 8800gts 640mb isn't a slow card, on 1680x1050 it can max out everything except for company of heroes and crysis which happened to be the two games i play most lol. I am not crazy about video-games and I don't nessarily really need all high settings or anything, i will be satisfied with even medium settings. If I feel like it later on, i will just smack a second 8800gts 640mb into my system and run them in SLI and second card is only 100$$$ and it will out perform the gtx260 you offered so yeah. I am still thinking about what to do with my GPU weather buy a second same one or just buy a single more powerful one.