Can't get second DVD drive recognized

streamwinner

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I have a Dell Studio 540, rolled back with Windows XP (after a nasty HDD crash). Using the previously slaved HDD, which is IDE converted to SATA. Works fine.

I yanked the Pioneer DVR-610 (IDE) from my old computer awhile ago and want a second DVD-RW drive on this Dell.

I used the same IDE to SATA converter (Vantec: http://www.vantecusa.com/gl/product/view_detail/263) and tried both SATA 0 and SATA 5 ports, but cannot get the computer to recognize the drive. Doesn't show up in BIOS. Tried "scan for hardware changes" in Device Manager. Tried two different power lines, but the power is fine, as the tray will open and close. Tried with jumper as "slave" and removed.

Device Manager lists my stock DVD-RW drive as: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F. This drive is working fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, -SW

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Can you verify that the drive is even completely functional? Just because it can open/close doesn't mean that the drive is "all there" so to speak. Try putting it back in your old computer or some equivalent machine with an actual IDE BUS and see if it works. Then we can move on.

Ideas? yes. The DVD drive needs the jumper. Look at the case, it has some kind of notice to show where the jumper goes for Master/Slave/Cable Select. Those IDE/SATA converters like to see a drive pinned as Master. They also like to have that little power plug connected to them.

There are no Master or Slave drives in SATA.

streamwinner

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

AHA!

You are awesome. Thank you and Happy Halloween!

-SW