Mike

Splendid

This one has me stumped along with several other "expert"
friends. I'm posting to this group since I feel the
problem is more Windows than other.

My set up is as follows:
OS = WinXP
Browser = Netscape 7.1
Mail Handler = Outlook 2000

Problem:
When at a website, if I click on a MailTo link, Netscape
Mail comes up, not Outlook. Obviously since I have no
accounts set up with Netscape mail, I can't send anything.

What I've tried:
1. Within Netscape, I have the Netscape Mail turned OFF.
2. Within Outlook, I have Outlook 2000 designated as the
default mail handler.
3. Within WinXP I have set the File Type open action for
the URL Mailto Protocol to Outlook.exe

I still get Netscape Mail.

Just as a side line, my wife is using Win98 with IE6, and
Outlook 2000. When she clicks on a MailTo link, Outlook
Express comes up, not Outlook. I can't fix hers either.

There is obviously some default setting that I'm missing.

Mike

Mike,

Netscape does not respect the mailto: handlers in the registry. Here is a way to overcome this problem:
http://charles.loveofcolor.org/archives/2003/10/13/netscape_mailto_outlook/

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User