5.25" floppy drive

Sweebation

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
hi, i have been looking through my old stuff and found a packard bell ms-dos computer. i had a couple hundred floppies lying around and tried to read data off them, and found that i just kept getting "device i/o error" in edit, and general failure in the prompt. i have tried cleaning the heads, tested all the floppies, gotten new ones to test, and tried different cables. but nothing worked. i don't have any extra drives, and the 3.5 inch drive that was also in the computer needed to be replaced. the computer runs windows 3.0, and has 1mb of ram. i think it might be the jumper pins in the 5.25 inch drive because when i opened the computer up, most of the pins were lying around the case. when i one of the pins back in, the motor started to work again, but the stepper motor will not stay still when writing data. it just vibrates all over the place. btw, i also do not want to buy a new drive because i am trying to keep all the parts original.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

I doubt you'll find any info about the jumpers, and I just tossed two 5 1/4 drives from back home. Personally I'd be shocked if any of the disks still have any viable data left on them, the shelf life for any of those disks has long run out. Keep the PC if it still works to show kiddies the 'stone age' - I still have an IBM compatable 8088 that runs DOS 6.22!!!! 17 install disks! WHOOOOOOO!