Really undecided, HD4850 X2 or nVidia?

filoz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I am going to build a computer this summer, I have most of the things planned already. I'll mostly use it mainly for Photoshop editing and Gaming on the secondhand.

Antec 900 Mid Tower
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W PSU
ASUS P5Q Pro Motherboard
Q6600 Processor 2.4 ghz
2x2GB DDR2-800 RAM
320GB SATA2 HDD
Radeon HD 4850 X2 GPU

I'm really uneasy on the GPU. I don't know if I should stick with ATI or get an nVidia (perhaps GTX260) Graphic card instead. Which one would you suggest me?

Also on the ATI branch, is there anything better than the HD4850 X2 you could suggest me(ranging around 300$ or lower if possible)?

I appreciate your help!

Well, what does the chart say? It says that an HD4850X2 is superior to the GTX 260 and 280, right?

And what's better than an HD 4850X2? An HD4870 X2 which costs a lot more right?

Maybe you should just put a picture of both video cards on your wall, throw a dart and see which one ya get closer to.

Well, what does the chart say? It says that an HD4850X2 is superior to the GTX 260 and 280, right?

And what's better than an HD 4850X2? An HD4870 X2 which costs a lot more right?

Maybe you should just put a picture of both video cards on your wall, throw a dart and see which one ya get closer to.

I suggest you do a little research. For the most part, The 4850X2 is going to be faster than a a GTX260 or even a GTX285. The issue is, there are some games where crossfire will not scale well, or at all. The 4850X2 also generates alot of heat (without exhausting out the back of the case). If you do get a 4850X2, make sure you get the 2GB version. Since you're getting a crossfire board though I would recommend going with a Radeon 4890. Even though the 4850X2 is generally going to be a little faster than the 4890, latter on you will be able to add another 4890 and run both of them in crossfire for some truly awesome performance. Of course, with the 4850X2 you could add another one latter on, going from 2-4way crossfire is not as effective as going from a single card to 2-way crossfire. Also, the 4890s typically have a dual slot cooler to exhaust the hot air out the case unlike the 4850X2. It's up to you.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I would grab a 45nm CPU, paired with a P5Q and nice cooling you can go higher with a 45nm.

If you really want a quad ill take a Q9400, or Q9550 if you can affort it.
But a think a E8400 can substain your need + its OCing EZ !

For the GPU, it really depand on the rez you plan on gaming at. But a GTX260 is going to be a waste if your gaming @ 1024x768, but is a good investment if you have a 1680x1050 or 1900x1200 monitor.

Have fun !

filoz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Sorry for slow response, and thanks for replies!

@invisik, I have no real preference about the resolution I play on, but I am currently aiming around 1680x1050 pix. The computer will also use the 64-bit version of Vista and there are high chances that I will swap it for the Windows 7 OS.

For the games I play, I'm into MMORPGs, and I juggle alot between them. They mostly use the shaders feature (which I don't have at the moment.) I can also play some basic FPS games, like UT3 and Halo. Finally, I'm hoping it can handle Crysis, but this is very optional.

@megamanx00 The 4890 looks good to me, I should check it out. Just wanted to know, is the Card as long as the 4850 X2? (This would take out my troubles alot!)

@boulard83 I first chose to buy a Q9550, but after making some research, I realized many said Q6600 was a very nice OC'ed CPU and that it it looked very popular on the market. I'm trying to keep up my build to a very nice budget that I could afford.

I prefer Quad on a more selfish and assured note, affording the Q9550 would be possible. However if I opt for E8400, How would you suggest me to cool it?

I like this one >:p

By the way, if you think about price/performance... ATI right now with 2 4850...

But if you are checking for power consumption, just forget ATI, it's outrageous to see the rebirth of the 8800 GTX.

Crossfire/SLI has historically been much less effective for me in MMOs than FPS. EG, in EQ2 it can lead to lower framerates and stuttering. OTOH, some small gains are seen in some newer MMOs like AoC. Hopefully, moreso in the future.

So I'm not convinced on Cross/SLI for MMOs. (Nor quad-cores, unless you Vent, parse real time, and keep a browser open for walkthroughs and strats. I use 2xPC instead.) Until then, max cpu speed at least duo, best single vid card, and adjusting effects for solo vs raid.

ATI or nVidia? You can go with what benchmarks say runs faster and does it for good money. Or you can go with what you've been comfortable with and what works lol.

filoz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

I'm a very mad multi-tasker, I count on the Quad to fulfill my simultaneous needs =).

I also checked the benchmarks, I think that I'll give it a try for an HD4890 GPU. Thanks for the tip!

Just a last question: Many manufacturers offer the same Graphic card, I currently chose the one offered by XFX. Is it a trustable manufacturer, or is there any other companies more reliable on their customer support?