Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a case that will grow with me.

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
August 29, 2009 1:29:13 PM

I am thinking about building a new PC and want it to last as long as possible. Can you help me get the best case for me?

Since it will be hidden underneath my desk, I don't care about it's look and weight, but it should have USB/Audio ports and power switch on the top.

I can put up to 150$ for it.

It MUST be able to stand my future upgrades, therefore, I think it should have a lots of slots and bays. Width and height good enough for next generation cards and SLI. Good airflow (no need for liquid cooling) and low to moderate noise.

My PC is for graphic demanding games: Oblivion, FSX, Rainbow 6, WOW, FEAR, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, etc.

Thanks for all advices!

More about : case grow

August 29, 2009 2:19:29 PM

I believe you might want to look at the NZXT Tempest, very nice case and is within you price range. comes with all the fans you need, very good air flow. The sound from the fans are not to bad, but if you wanted to make it even less you could add a fan controller and still be under you price range....
Related resources
August 29, 2009 3:10:27 PM

Thank you both!
At first look, Lian Li's seems great, but will take a deeper look to all of them when I get some spare time.

Q. What are the pros and cons of having the PSU at the bottom? Is it just for the top fan? Don't you get problems connecting the cables to the mobo?
Thanks!
August 29, 2009 3:39:12 PM

Depending on the PSU you might have to use a 8 pin conector that adds length so you can plug it in to the mother board. I have a RX-950 when I used my NZXT case and didn't need one. Bottom mounted PSUs is a good thing because of airflow in the NZXT Tempest case. Another nice thing about the NZXT Tempest case is that it comes with all the fans already, 2x 140mm at the top, which is fitted to add water cooling with a x 2 Radiator mounted to the top of the case on the inside if you ever want to go to water cooling. It also has Two 120mm in in the front of the case, and one 120 mm in the back, and 120 mm blowing in on the side. I modded mine with smoked Glass on the side and got rid of the 120 mm on the side.

Heres what it looks like with water cooling.

a c 248 ) Power supply
August 29, 2009 3:59:18 PM

There are two parts to the theory about bottom mounted power supplies. The first part is that by installing a heavy power supply in the bottom one is less likely to tip over the case. The second part has to do with psu fan location and orientation and it has two parts. First, most modern high quality power supplies have fans that pull in air. The air flows through the psu and is exhausted out the back panel. Installing a psu in the bottom of the case with the psu fan on top helps to pull hot air from a graphics card. Second, if the bottom rear of the case has an opening, the psu can be mounted with the fan facing down so it can pull in cool air to cool itself. That works if case ventilation, airflow, and cooling capacity are sufficient for the rest of the components.

With bottom mounted power supplies installed in full tower cases there may or may not be a problem with the length of the psu's motherboard power cable. It usually happens when someone wants to run the power cable between the motherboard tray and the right side panel up to the power connector on the motherboard. The idea is to hide the cable from view and improve airflow. There are some high quality power supplies with sufficiently long power cables. There are other power supplies with short cables. Eight inch long power extension cables are available for a few dollars from many online vendors.
August 29, 2009 9:01:31 PM

Thx!

HAF 932 have military look. If I could place it in view instead underneath my desk, I would have liked it, painted with military camouflage colors. ;-)

NZXT Tempest looks very good. Looks alot like Antec Nine Hundred which was my first choice. BTW, none of you suggested the Antec. Any reason?

I have two compile all these informations and make a choice.
Thank you very much!
August 30, 2009 5:30:43 AM

I just did alot of searching before I made the choice to go with the tempest, for the price, I am not sure you can beat it. I can't remember what the Antecs come with fan wise, but seemed to me the Tempest was a better choice for me.
a c 248 ) Power supply
August 30, 2009 6:48:02 AM

The Antec Nine Hundred is a very popular case with gamers. It is a very good case. I have not seen official sales figures but the Nine Hundred is supposed to be one of the best selling pc cases ever made. The reason I did not mention the Nine Hundred is because the width of the case is 8.1 inches. The HAF 932 and the Storm Sniper are wider cases which accomodate some of those new extra tall tower style cpu heatsinks. They cpu heatsinks keep getting bigger. In addition the HAF 932 and Storm Sniper are deeper from front to back. They can accomodate an extra long 12 inch video card much easier. Cable management is better too. There is extra room between the motherboard tray and right side panel to hide cables and improve airflow.

The Antec case I would have recommended that could grow with you is the Antec Twelve Hundred but it is not within your budget of $150.00.
August 30, 2009 2:41:01 PM

mononcle said:
I am thinking about building a new PC and want it to last as long as possible. Can you help me get the best case for me?

Since it will be hidden underneath my desk, I don't care about it's look and weight, but it should have USB/Audio ports and power switch on the top.

I can put up to 150$ for it.

It MUST be able to stand my future upgrades, therefore, I think it should have a lots of slots and bays. Width and height good enough for next generation cards and SLI. Good airflow (no need for liquid cooling) and low to moderate noise.

My PC is for graphic demanding games: Oblivion, FSX, Rainbow 6, WOW, FEAR, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, etc.

Thanks for all advices!

It's over your budget, but consider the CoolerMaster ATCS 840. You can see it here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

6 5.25 drive bays, 1 3.5 floppy drive bay, 6 3.5 HDD bays, slide out motherboard tray. Pop-up control panel on top with USB, Audio, IEEE 1394. e-SATA. Bottom mount PSU. If you don't run over it with a steam roller, you can use this case 10 years from now, and probably then some.
!