Acceptable Tempatures on Northbridge?

MajestyMephisto

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I decided to OC my Q9300 from 2.5 to 3.0 (400 FSB) today through the BIOS. At this moment ASUS pr probe is saying my CPU is 47, MB 34, NB 55 (believe it was at like 69+ just playing Black Ops), SB 43. By default the probe has alarm at 55 :ange: . Anyhow I had noticed in the past the NB as seemed to run hot, even at stock.

Intel Core 2 Duo QUAD CORE Q9300
Asus Maximus Formula Intel X38 Crossfire
Antec Nine Hundred
ZALMAN Copper CNPS9500 AT Quiet (S775 ONLY) CPU Cooler

Those temps seem high to me.

Your CPU temps are fine.I've heard of NB temps on lots of mobo's running hot.It's just the way their built i guess.You can always replace the NB and SB heatsink with an aftermarket one if you disire.As for the max temps i've heard that the NB can go up to 100c but i never push mine over 80c as thats where i feel comfortable going.

MajestyMephisto

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Yeah under BIOS it does have an option where it will protect if goes over 90 by default. I have done some reading on temps before and it always surprises me how high they can go according to specs vs what people think is hot. Thanks for reply.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
100-105c is the maximum safe operating temperature of most Silicon. The only thing I would worry about for your northbridge is if its not clamped on. If you have a model that has been applied with epoxy or glue, then the bonding material may become compromised when its warmed beyond a certain threshold. Operating around 90c is still fine as long as that's your load temp, and not your idle temp.

I fond that new MoBos .... or newly OC'd mobos, the NB/SB runs hot for a week or so and then seems to settle down a bit. I oft attributed this to a new BIOS as it was noticeable after upgrading but I think the newly experienced higher temps tends to help cure the TIM a bit after a few cooling cycles.

If it is a concern, might try one of these:

http://store.antec.com/Product/cooling-cooling_fan/spot-cool/0-761345-75018-9.aspx