Toshiba S1 laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Out of 25 Toshiba 6000/6100 style laptops I have purchase over half of
them have failed requiring main or video board (or both) replacement.
One of them has had 5 main boards installed, several others have had 3
main boards installed. Toshiba has been taking care of these problems
on warantee, but recently the warantees expired and they a began to
charge for the repairs. I demanded to be put in touch with someone
besides their offshore support and once I got to a PR guy in So CA he
admitted they had a problem and is retrofitting all of them as I can
free them up to be sent in.

In order to get these laptops fixed, I puchased 6 Toshiba S1s (I need
a physical serial port) and issued them to my people with the
defective 6000/6100s. I have only had the S1s out for a couple of
weeks and have had two of them fail with a "Dumping Physical Memory"
screen then a reboot and a message the the system has just recovered
from a serious problem. It has been my experience that this indicates
a thermal hard drive problem.

Have I just bought in to another bad batch of laptops?

Bob wrote:
> Out of 25 Toshiba 6000/6100 style laptops I have purchase over half of
> them have failed requiring main or video board (or both) replacement.
> One of them has had 5 main boards installed, several others have had 3
> main boards installed. Toshiba has been taking care of these problems
> on warantee, but recently the warantees expired and they a began to
> charge for the repairs. I demanded to be put in touch with someone
> besides their offshore support and once I got to a PR guy in So CA he
> admitted they had a problem and is retrofitting all of them as I can
> free them up to be sent in.
>
> In order to get these laptops fixed, I puchased 6 Toshiba S1s (I need
> a physical serial port) and issued them to my people with the
> defective 6000/6100s. I have only had the S1s out for a couple of
> weeks and have had two of them fail with a "Dumping Physical Memory"
> screen then a reboot and a message the the system has just recovered
> from a serious problem. It has been my experience that this indicates
> a thermal hard drive problem.
>
> Have I just bought in to another bad batch of laptops?

While I don't know your circumstances, I have to wonder why would you
buy another batch of Toshibas after you had so many problems with the
first one. I'm not trying to say other laptops (save maybe Thinkpads)
are much more reliable, but a 50% failure rate must tell you something.

Cosmin