Sign in with
Your question

I5 release date?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 3:52:15 PM

I was just wondering when the expected i5 release date was. I've seen various answers online, none of which were consistent.

More about : release date

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 10:32:26 PM

Any one
August 30, 2009 12:08:35 AM

i dont think anyone really knows... the only thing i can say is to wait and see
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 12:10:29 AM

there are already 1156 mbs and cpus selling in japan and europe so, any day now
August 30, 2009 3:56:16 AM

Saw an 1156 motherboard on sale at Fry's Electronics in Phoenix, but they wouldn't sell the CPU yet.
August 30, 2009 2:01:13 PM

They are selling core i5's on Amazon last time I checked.
August 30, 2009 3:09:57 PM

its a cycle... I was gonna buy a i7, and by the time i5 drops in price another i-something will come out. should i wait for that or buy the i5... etc etc
August 30, 2009 4:01:35 PM

hatemf90 said:
its a cycle... I was gonna buy a i7, and by the time i5 drops in price another i-something will come out. should i wait for that or buy the i5... etc etc

Well that ultimately depends. I mean I have a AMD Phenom2 X 3 720 Be and it should last at least for another 3 years. Look basically Core i5 is a quad core but the only enchancement it has is turbo. So Technically It doesn't much much of a difference. A Core i7 is a quad core with hyper threading technology and it gives a 25% performance increase over Core 2 Quad. I mean you won't actually see a difference unless you go into HD. In conclusion if you want more performance go fot the Core i7. Remember Core i7 is only useful if you run more than 4 applications. But if you want to save cash go for the AMD Phenom2 processors they have excellent value for money. The Phenom2 955 is just the sort of CPU that can match the Core i7 and it's cheaper>(Have a Look at Newegg) The only disadvantage is that it doesn't have HT tech. But you don't actually need HT tech I mean unless you run tons of applications.
August 30, 2009 5:33:16 PM

I am sure they will be out any day now.

However If It was me, I would just skip the I5 and not build with there new socket. If Intel is really going to phase out the I7 920 from there line up, and replace it with the higher clocked I5 then there is something really wrong with that, IMO. Unless a I5 rig is way cheaper to build then the 17 920, then it won't be as bad, but I think Intel with there tick, tock method are trying to force us to buy into there $500-$1000 dollar processors by phasing out the I7 920. Which if you want there top of the line processor's your going to have to drop $500-$1000 to get them, instead of the $200-$279 you will drop right now on a I7 920 and just Over clocking it. For some, they are ready to upgrade there 775 socket builds, and have been waiting for I5's to be released. It it was me, I would just skip I5 and if I just had to have a Intel build, would go with I7 920 while you still can, or I would just go with a AMD Phenom II build and forget Intel all together.

I believe Intels methods are flawed, Lets bring out the I7's and a socket that supports them for a very high price when first released.... Then later down the road lets get rid of our bottom line I7 920, because it just performs way to good and can be overclocked to the levels of our $500-$1000 dollar ranged I7's. Several months later lets release a new platform and the I5, and phase out the I7 920 because it is just killing our high end sales.... now we can make even more money, either way if people keep buying Intel, there winning, not us the consumer. Just my two cents worth.
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 6:16:15 PM

^ I don't believe Intel plans to discontinue the i7 920, at least according to the pricing chart on i3, i5, i7 & i9 (6-core Westmeres). Check Anand's for more info.

Also, I saw a site yesterday claiming that the i5 750 would be out Sept. 6th.
August 30, 2009 8:43:23 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
^ I don't believe Intel plans to discontinue the i7 920, at least according to the pricing chart on i3, i5, i7 & i9 (6-core Westmeres). Check Anand's for more info.

Also, I saw a site yesterday claiming that the i5 750 would be out Sept. 6th.

Well I know it is all just talk and peoples opinions but many think they plan on phasing out the I7 920 because It performs so well. If they do phase out the 920's so soon then IMO that is pretty shaddy on there part seeing how it does perform so well. I hope your right and they don't phase it out.
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 9:14:12 PM

I just notice the new OSX snow leopard only will run on Intel. I quess apple likes this whole ix naming scheme intel has, lol.
August 31, 2009 6:27:50 AM

just get an i7 920.. specially if ur near a microcenter store..

google it : i7 920 microcenter.. 199 u$D..

beats anything clock/clock. and overclocks nicely... (goodluck and get an E0 stepping)..

several games love the i7 architecture.. check out GTA 4 and WoW.. (pcgameshardware.com)

u dont have to freaking run 8 APPS just to see the i7s great performance..

but the Phenom 2s arent a bad deal either.. IF its priced considerably lower than an i7 (@200 bucks [i7], i doubt that even the Phenom 2 965 would be reasonable if ur building a whole new rig]
August 31, 2009 6:30:04 AM

medjohnson77 said:
I am sure they will be out any day now.

However If It was me, I would just skip the I5 and not build with there new socket. If Intel is really going to phase out the I7 920 from there line up, and replace it with the higher clocked I5 then there is something really wrong with that, IMO. Unless a I5 rig is way cheaper to build then the 17 920, then it won't be as bad, but I think Intel with there tick, tock method are trying to force us to buy into there $500-$1000 dollar processors by phasing out the I7 920. Which if you want there top of the line processor's your going to have to drop $500-$1000 to get them, instead of the $200-$279 you will drop right now on a I7 920 and just Over clocking it. For some, they are ready to upgrade there 775 socket builds, and have been waiting for I5's to be released. It it was me, I would just skip I5 and if I just had to have a Intel build, would go with I7 920 while you still can, or I would just go with a AMD Phenom II build and forget Intel all together.

I believe Intels methods are flawed, Lets bring out the I7's and a socket that supports them for a very high price when first released.... Then later down the road lets get rid of our bottom line I7 920, because it just performs way to good and can be overclocked to the levels of our $500-$1000 dollar ranged I7's. Several months later lets release a new platform and the I5, and phase out the I7 920 because it is just killing our high end sales.... now we can make even more money, either way if people keep buying Intel, there winning, not us the consumer. Just my two cents worth.

+1
August 31, 2009 6:55:32 PM

tubers said:
@200 bucks [i7], i doubt that even the Phenom 2 965 would be reasonable if ur building a whole new rig

Don't forget the price of the morherboard. Have a look at this article on Anandtech:
Phenom II X4 965: A Look at CPU/MB Bundle Pricing
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=362...

Their conclusion:
There's simply no way the i7 920 can compete with the cheapest Phenom II X4 965 BE configuration, ... However, unless you had to buy today, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to build a cheap 920. It won't be long before P55 and Lynnfield are upon us, and then we'll have a real race.
a c 86 à CPUs
September 1, 2009 6:59:57 AM

According to suppliers here in New Zealand they have stock of i5 and the cpu's are on sale .
I cant confirm they will ship one to you yet ..... but they will take your money .

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,692584/Intel-Lynnfie...

Either way it will be worth waiting to see a few benchmarks . i5 750 is a cut down i7 920 and whether its good value is going to depend on how fast it is in real benchmarks
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2009 1:38:09 PM

medjohnson77 said:
Well I know it is all just talk and peoples opinions but many think they plan on phasing out the I7 920 because It performs so well. If they do phase out the 920's so soon then IMO that is pretty shaddy on there part seeing how it does perform so well. I hope your right and they don't phase it out.

I'll have to go dig up the link but I thought Intel did away with this rumor during their Q2 financial results conference, about 6 weeks ago.

I too would prefer an i7 920 for my next build, but if the reports of a 5GHz overclock on good air cooling with the i5 750 are true, then maybe that would be the way to go. Currently you can get the 920 (probably D0 stepping guaranteed by now) on sale at Microcenter for $200, and a good X58 mobo for under $170, and 12GB of DDR3 for under $100 IIRC, so you're talking < $500. The i5 750 is $196 MSRP, a decent mobo should be around $100, and the memory the same per GB although with 2 channels 8GB might be the sweet spot. So maybe < $400. The extra $100 could go to a video card upgrade for a decent gaming system.
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2009 1:45:12 PM

Regarding i5 versus i7, I think the key is how well the i5's on-die PCi (2) controller works. Should the theoretical advantages of *very* low latency between the graphics card and proccy prove to deliver real benefit, than this may end up being "THE" gaming chip.

If not, then it'll amount to a cheaper dual channel memory version of the i7.

At the moment, I don't believe there are many who are both permitted to talk, and can accurately answer that question. Next week the NDA's should lift, we'll likely know.
September 1, 2009 4:21:48 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
I'll have to go dig up the link but I thought Intel did away with this rumor during their Q2 financial results conference, about 6 weeks ago.

I too would prefer an i7 920 for my next build, but if the reports of a 5GHz overclock on good air cooling with the i5 750 are true, then maybe that would be the way to go. Currently you can get the 920 (probably D0 stepping guaranteed by now) on sale at Microcenter for $200, and a good X58 mobo for under $170, and 12GB of DDR3 for under $100 IIRC, so you're talking < $500. The i5 750 is $196 MSRP, a decent mobo should be around $100, and the memory the same per GB although with 2 channels 8GB might be the sweet spot. So maybe < $400. The extra $100 could go to a video card upgrade for a decent gaming system.

Well if that is the case, depending on how the I5 750 performs then that might just be a good way to go for a new rig for people still on the 775 socket wanting to upgrade with a new build. Time will tell
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2009 5:57:48 PM

confirmed september 8th
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2009 6:16:59 AM

The most recent numbers i'm seeing are the lifting of the NDA and official release to retail of the LGA1156 motherboards and CPUs on Sept. 8th (i had the 6th in an earlier post)
!