What Sandy Bridge Mobos is everyone getting?

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm just curious...what Sandy Bridge Mobo are you getting/have you gotten and why? Did you base it on price/features/looks/reputation/overclockability/reviews/etc.?

I'm trying to figure out what the best value one would be. I plan to do some OC'ing and possibly but maybe not Xfire.

Some I'm thinking of...
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 for $159.99 (cheaper than other alternatives so far)

ASUS P8P67 PRO for $189.99 (I like the looks of this one and have read pretty good reviews...but a little pricey)

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4 for $189.99 (seems a little...meh...when ASUS has theirs for the same price)

The ASUS Revolution and Deluxe seem nice too, but kinda pricey to me. What are you guys getting and why?

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I went with the UD4, I've used gigabyte before so BIOS wasn't a big deal although the UEFI looks pretty. Asus was also out of stock at the time :( I think most people I've seen around here get an Asus or ASRock

My preference is gigabyte (Will switch if I find a valid reason to):
(1) I like the Bios – that is more familiar with
(2) Last 3 builds have used gigabyte – Not one problem. Overclock on two were very easy (3rd was wife’s and no OC).

My choice will be based on:
(1) Reviews plus Newegg comments (Here I try to weed out invalid reviews)
(2) Features and the cost. Then to set upper limit on cost then check features.
I do shy away from “Low cost” MB, even if they have all the features I currently need – try to anticipate future needs. Also they are lower cost for a reason, not withstanding margin) the parts used are normally of lower quality.

Waiting on Z68 series for 2500K build. Just bought the Zalman CPNS 9900MAX-B last night, Onsale @ Newegg for $65 w/free shipping.

The biggest seller by a H U G E margin is the Asus P8P67 Pro. The reviews are good because it is good and the newegg combo saves an extra $20 making the price a bit easier to swallow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.622007
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.622003

I put the P8P67 pro in builds costing $1500 and below and the Revolution in builds costing more assuming of course that owner going SLI and using with at least the performance of the GTX 560.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3795/asus_p8p67_ws_revolution_intel_p67_express_motherboard/index.html

The Deluxe I just don't "get". Don't see a need for a board with less features and a $20 price difference.

As for "cheaper" options ..... it's just like PSU's ....a cheaper board is generally made w/ cheaper components. With the MoBo being the core of the entire system, I don't see skimping on price as being advantageous to my interests.

A MoBo replacements costs me 1 - 2 hours minimum with sleeved cables affixed and tied down all over the place and out of view. If I'm "on the clock", that pays for a new MoBo.

homegun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I got the ASUS P8P67 PRO after deciding that I didn't need the extra features of higher end boards, but did need the easy OC features ASUS offers, plus the great power management, plus the ability to stick in two rather bulk video cards and a giant cooler and have everything coexisting and play nicely together.

I haven't regretted a thing - but I did have to go through a rebuild to swap in the newer (i.e. fixed the Intel problem) generation board.

whitey_rolls

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
I purchased the Asrock P67 Extreme 4 and have no regrets at all.

I've been a fan of Asrock for the past couple years, they used to be stricly for budget builds however have seem to have stepped up their game in the last while and are now producing a decent enthusiest product.

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
MSI P67A GD65 for me because that was the 1st B3 motherboard that came out and i didn't want to wait. So far it works really good...Easy use of bios for a 1st time builder like me. 4.2ghz on i5 2500k at 1.2volts at 50c running prime 95 torture test...I was gonna go with Asus Pro or the Evo but MSI came out with the B3 1st lol...No regrets so far on the purchase...My next build might be MSI again since im already very familiar with the new bios....

killer pc g15

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
i had a p67a-ud7 it was terrible
the overclocking was good made 5.4ghz in windows
but each time you have a blue screen or a freez the mobo deletes the whole bios+all settings
and if you try updating the bios AGAIN with usb memory card... it whont! becose the old backup bios doesnt support it properly.... so you have to boot in to windows flash the bios what takes 5-10min and then you can finaly continue overclocking....
but i had to send my p67a-ud7 back becose of the B2 chip prob and asked for the new asus maximus IV extreme
I love this mobo it is worth the extra money

xf1xcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

i installed an asus x58 sabertooth in january,very pleased with the simplicity and durability

raptorjesus

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
ASUS P8P67 PRO for me due to a bundle I got a microcenter with a i5-2500k that was only like 340 dollars combined. That was a steal so I stepped up, was planning on maybe a ASRock or MSI board to save money, but I've been nothing but satisfied.

I purchased the Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 . Have just completed the build, Loaded win 7 32 bit on HDD and win7 64 Bit on the Agility 3 120 gig SSD. To early to tell if a Rose, or a lemon. No real problems yet. Have only OCed to 4.2 sofar and that was simple as can be.

Editted - Put P67, should have been Z68

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I got the P67 Extreme6 and it overclocks like a dream, if you use the UEFI in the BIOS. You can fly by the seat of the pants if you like, but ASRock's OC preset options seem to be foolproof.

I have had ASUS, Abit, AOpen, Biostar, Gigabyte & MSI builds in the past -- personally owned and used the ASUS, AOpen, Biostar and MSI. All were good products, but ASRock currently has more bang for the buck and is quality product.

G

The P67 Extreme4 is actually the best value you can get, it has Asus quality, no infinite power loop issues, triple PCI-E x16, so supports all the CFX and SLI stuff, dual USB 3, but a hint:

If you sacrifice the ability to overclock and get a non k processor with a cheap $60 H61 mobo, you can save a lot of money that can be used for an SSD, a better graphics card, case or RAM/

adamtheman87

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
I bought parts for a new computer today, and got a Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 - not being an expert and knowing a ton about what motherboard would suit my needs - and - I haven't built it yet I have the parts here - I read the reviews of it on Newegg and about half of the comments say "It just gets stuck in an infinite loop where it makes your computer reboot every 3 seconds, it's useless they should stop selling it".. And then other people say it works just fine. What could be going on here?? Should I take it back or take my chances and build it and if there's something wrong I can bring it back on a warranty claim?

It looked like a decent board, and they had a $30 rebate on it so it came in at just over $100.

G

You should have got a z68, and the power loop is a defect, some mobos have it some don't, you can return it if it's defective but it's a pain in the a$$ - you have to pay to ship it back,

I say you return it and get an ASRock z68 extreme4 or if you don't need z68 features get a p67 extreme4, they are both recommended by tom's hardware, better than the ud3

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
P8P67 Deluxe, great features for the price was my main reason.

It's my first Intel system (that isn't a laptop) and I admit I didn't want to make the change from AMD to Intel but I did and it's great compared to my old Phenom II 955BE.

Steel Ball

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Well I got the Asrock p67 Pro 3 and it's working great. The Extreme 4 comes with a Usb 3.0 front panel so that's a boon,
also the ASRock P67 EXTREME4 is only a very small percentage slower then they others so the difference isn't much. You have to be REALLY sure that you're going to xfire anytime soon because if you don't, you will have wasted alot of money on a feature you are not using to it's fullest. I've also heard that the Pro 3, the Extreme 4 and the p8p67 pro are good overclockers (not sure about anything Gigabyte-related).

To get to the point, get the Asrock Pro 3/Asus p8p67 if not xfiring or the Extreme 4/ Asus p8p67 pro if you are xfiring.

coryjm

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I have made my last 3 builds all using the deluxe series from Asus, but this time I went with the p6p67 evo. I did a lot of research on it and it seems you get more bang for the buck not to mention that I got it for about $150. So I can not complain. I still have to wait for it in the mail though:( To bad it can not just appear at my house after I buy it.

TommyV

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I have the Asrock p67 Pro3. I bought this because I wouldn't use the second pci-e
The price was good, but mostly because of how available Asrock techs are and how personable they are. LOL, that's the same reason I chose G.Skill for my memory.

Customer service is probably 80% of why I choose one company over another.