Dual monitor problem

poisoborz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
Hola,

Right now I have a 22' TFT monitor, and a 19' CRT lying around. I thought I could hook them up as a dual screen setup, but the results were not really good..

I have an nvidia 9600GT graphics card, and tried to set things up trough it's nview app. Is it really impossible to set the two screens to different resolutions/refresh rates?
My TFT goes on 1680x1050, and the CRT 1280x960 (refresh rates are 60mhz and 100mhz).
Whenever I tried to set things up, I could only set one resolution and refresh rate... (settings for the other monitor were disabled)
Is this a software (nview's) issue or this is natural?

Solution
Its not natural as far as I'm aware of. I've used two monitors before with different resolutions on both my old x1800XT, and my 8800GS. (one was my 17" CRT, the other was my 27" CRT TV via Svideo)

I assume you did enable the second monitor? Can you do it through windows and not Nview?

4745454b

Titan
Its not natural as far as I'm aware of. I've used two monitors before with different resolutions on both my old x1800XT, and my 8800GS. (one was my 17" CRT, the other was my 27" CRT TV via Svideo)

I assume you did enable the second monitor? Can you do it through windows and not Nview?

Solution

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Have you tried setting it up outside of Nview? Through basic windows display properties?

It sounds to me like you havent enabled the option in windows that extends your desktop to the second monitor, which would be why you can only set settings for one monitor.

poisoborz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
The answer is that I was immensely stupid, as I hot-swap computers often, and the fact that just plugging in the monitor to the vidcard makes things appear right made me forgot the fact that I have to restart the computer to make the changes - without restart, the vidcard will only put out one resolution (naturally). This is a minor detail, but when having dualscreen problems, everyone should be reminded to do a restart.