Rendering, Photoshop, OS - Space required?

cryzr

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I run windows 7 on my i7 920. Just put in another 6gb of ram to help photoshop (CS5) and Architectural Rendering in Revit, and recently a little in 3dsmax.

I've started looking into SSD's because the increased write speeds should help with rending (correct?) as well as taking the strain of the OS off a slow HDD.

First: Is this logic correct, or will I not really notice any difference?

Second: Is 60gb sufficient for the OS and these two programs? Given the fact that these rendering files could get quite large.
The reason I ask is because this is a pretty good deal expecially with the SandForce controller.
---> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

ronbo613

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I have Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom, Bridge, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Illustrator, InDesign and Dreamweaver CS4, as well as MS Office 2007, Sony Vegas Pro 9, DVD Architect and AutoCAD 2011, as well as a bunch of other video tools and film scanning software along with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a 120G OCZ Vertex 2. Even though all those programs take only about 43G, I wanted a little bit of "overhead" and some room to move.
I have always had my progams on the boot drive and my scratch discs and project folders on another "work" drive; a 1TB 7200rpm Western Digital Caviar Black. Since switching my boot/programs drive from a 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda to the Vertex 2, there has been a noticeable speed increase when working with the Adobe software. The programs open quicker for sure and going from task to task within the program are quicker as well. I think an SSD as an OS and program drive coupled with a fast mechanical drive(because writing to SSD's is a weak point) is the way to go.