Looking for a nice heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
My motherboard just died so I have to RMA it and I thought no better time then now to get an new heatsink.

I have a Phenom x4 965 and I was hoping to get it stable @4Ghz
My case is the NZXT Hades so I don't have as much clearance as others but I can remove my side fan to get about 160mm or so if need be.

Solution

To answer your questions.
Yes it will fit on your mobo but will extend over first dimm slot.
Yes you'll have to remove the fins on one or two modules.
The Thermalright Silver Arrow is a better choice imo.
Two TY-140mm fans = quieter then D-14/cooling performance is the same
I usually find it priced cheaper also.

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
@o1die that is the same size as the Hyper 212 so I would likely just go with it but if I can I would like to avoid removing my side fan.

I'm not sure if the H80 would mount correctly in my case...

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Thanks I will give this a good look.

Not sure how much air flow I would lose without a side fan but I heard Noctura makes some great HSF

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I really like the D14 but I fear it will get in the way of my RAM on my Crosshair IV Formula
I know I would have to remove the side fan which isn't a big deal with how amazing this thing cools.

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Sorry for the bump but does anyone know if the D14 will fit on the Crosshair IV without blocking the 2nd RAM slot?

I think it would block the first for sure but I have Dominator GT so I have some big RAM ( I can remove the small heatsink on top tho)

In either case I hear the D14 is better than the H80 and I would prefer air cooling and the silence.

To answer your questions.
Yes it will fit on your mobo but will extend over first dimm slot.
Yes you'll have to remove the fins on one or two modules.
The Thermalright Silver Arrow is a better choice imo.
Two TY-140mm fans = quieter then D-14/cooling performance is the same
I usually find it priced cheaper also.

Solution

we1shcake

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

oc3d did a comparison of the silver arrow and the d14
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/thermalright_silver_arrow_vs_noctua_nh-d14/1
the d14 came out on top for cooling performacne by quite a bit at high vcores

sowexly

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I think I would prefer the D14 because I have only heard good things and would rather not regret my purchase, in either case they are twin town and I always fear for my RAM when this happens.

EDIT: Checked their site and it says the D14 blocks most first slots, and that I would have to move the fan up or remove the fin on one of my chips NBD

Status
Not open for further replies.