Is my PSU dead?

TimVB

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Hello,

How's it going? Hopefully good. :)

Here's the deal.. I was playing World of Warcraft yesterday (don't you judge me :p) and every 5 or so seconds the game slowed down to like 1-5 FPS, so I re-logged. Everything seemed fine then. Then I decided to turn on some music, so I fired up iTunes, and continued playing the game - a few minutes later my PC turned off by itself. At first I thought there must have been a power outage in my neighborhood, but that wasn't the case since the lights didn't turn off. So I decided to turn my PC back on, but after I pushed the power button I heard a loud noise coming from it (never a good thing :D). The fans seemed to be working, but that's about it. Nothing showed up on the screen. I did notice two things, though - the power switch for my PSU was blinking. Before this thing happened, it used to glow blue steadily. And there's a weird (not too loud) sound coming from it - electricity?

So.. is my PSU dead? I don't feel like spending $100 or so bucks on something that isn't broken.

Here are the system specs:
S.939 AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Western Digital 320 GB HDD
2x1 GB Kingston RAM
Some nForce 4 MSI motherboard
ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro (I used to have nVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT, but it started showing artifacts, so I downgraded to this ATI card which, by the way, was acting weird when I tried watching 720p/1080p videos in full screen - is that another sign that the PSU was dying?)
FSP Blue Storm II (500W)

I think that's about it.

So.. what do you guys think? Is the PSU dead?
Let me know if you need any other info. :)

Best regards,
:D

TimVB

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Thanks for the replies! :bounce:

So I just tried to power up the system without one side of the case, and I saw that the coolers were barely moving. They moved like three inches to the left, and three inches to the right. It kind of reminded me of an electrocuted person shaking on the ground (oh, that's horrible :non:).
So yeah.. the PSU is dead, huh? I better look for a new PSU then. Any suggestions? I'm currently looking at another Fortron 400W and Corsair CMPSU-400CX. Or should I be looking at 500W PSU's? (I also want to try to hook up the nVIDIA graphics card that I have - maybe it'll work fine with a new PSU)

Best regards,

TRENDING THREADS