Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will my RAM burn ?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 8, 2011 6:42:24 AM

Processor : Core i3 530
Mobo : DH55TC
RAM : 2 GB Kingston Value RAM.

Increasing the FSB from 133 to 169, I am running my core i3 530 ( 2.93 GHz stock ) at 3.71 GHz, but by doing so, I am also increasing my RAM frequency from 1330 MHz to 1690 MHz.
Will my RAM soon start to give problems ?

The FSB : DRAM ratio shown by CPU-Z is 4:20.

Idle temperatures are normal. Load temperatures do not exceed 77 Celsius.





More about : ram burn

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2011 1:55:54 PM

Yes it will burn. You have 1333mhz ram and your running it at almost 1700mhz. Not familiar with those cpu's but you should be able to change your fsb/dimm ratio to put the ram back down to speed or maybe bios has option to unlink ram from cpu.

I didn't think you were supposed to overclock those cpu's by raising the fsb, that was how you did the old Core2duo's and quads. I think there is another way your supposed to do it. I could be wrong.

m
0
l
a c 163 } Memory
a c 286 K Overclocking
April 8, 2011 8:32:22 PM

Is that a laptop?

The RAM will burn unless that you add a lot of voltage to do that, but with high frequencies you better more heat and that also affect the performance.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 8, 2011 8:51:41 PM

The DH55TC Motherboard only has FSB change options and nothing else.

No SAINT19, this ain't a laptop, it's a DH55TC Intel Motherboard, in a normal ATX casing, coupled with a core i3 530 processor.

I have been running this system OCed for about a month now.
m
0
l
a c 163 } Memory
a c 286 K Overclocking
April 8, 2011 9:20:42 PM

What cooler are you using in CPU? What case do you have?

If you get it stable in the stability test you did a good job, but keep in mid that those settings will reduce the lifespan of your RAM since it's running at not rated speeds.
m
0
l
April 8, 2011 10:02:32 PM

Stock cooler. Ran Prime95 Torture tests and OCCT for more than 2 hours. Maximum temperature was 78 Celsius.
I have lowered the FSB to 155 MHz now, which means my 1333 MHz RAM is running at 1550 MHz now.

The Memory Multiplier is locked to Auto ( 10 ). I think lowering it would help here. Perhaps a BIOS update may unlock that setting.
m
0
l
April 9, 2011 12:28:58 AM

Indeed, the BIOS update allowed me to do exactly that. I lowered the memory multiplier from 10 ( auto ) to 8, and have the FSB set at 166.
Now the memory freq is 8 x 166 = 1328 MHz. I can safely assume that it's perfectly safe.
And the processor freq is 22 x 166 = 3652 MHz.
This is stable now.

Before doing this, I was stuck at a no-post situation as I aggressively set the processor freq to 4.04 GHz, by increasing the FSB to somewhere around 182 and the memory multiplier to 6. Recovered by setting the BIOS Config jumper to recovery mode ( removing the jumper ) and the CMOS battery, and setting the jumper to config mode afterwards. Don't know why, only removing the jumper didn't recover it.

It's good that here I can get quick replies. Whereas at another famous overclocking forum, I had 1 stupid reply after 1 freaking day.

The BIOS update also resolves the problem which I had mentioned here :
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282789-30-100%C2-dh55...
m
0
l
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2011 2:46:11 PM

General_Terror said:
Indeed, the BIOS update allowed me to do exactly that. I lowered the memory multiplier from 10 ( auto ) to 8, and have the FSB set at 166.
Now the memory freq is 8 x 166 = 1328 MHz. I can safely assume that it's perfectly safe.
And the processor freq is 22 x 166 = 3652 MHz.
This is stable now.

Before doing this, I was stuck at a no-post situation as I aggressively set the processor freq to 4.04 GHz, by increasing the FSB to somewhere around 182 and the memory multiplier to 6. Recovered by setting the BIOS Config jumper to recovery mode ( removing the jumper ) and the CMOS battery, and setting the jumper to config mode afterwards. Don't know why, only removing the jumper didn't recover it.

It's good that here I can get quick replies. Whereas at another famous overclocking forum, I had 1 stupid reply after 1 freaking day.

The BIOS update also resolves the problem which I had mentioned here :
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282789-30-100%C2-dh55...


That's what I told you to do, change the ratio to keep your ram speed down. It's unlikely the bios update had anything to do with it, obviously you just didn't know how to unlock your bios features.

I wouldn't doubt it if your ram fails soon though, running it 400mhz over rated speed for that long had to have done some damage.
m
0
l

Best solution

April 9, 2011 3:35:23 PM

You can run a mem test if you're worried about it...but if boots and performs normally, I doubt you have anything to worry about at 1600 mhz. If you're stable now, adding voltage will do nothing to 'prevent damage'. :heink:  It's really not that easy to break this stuff ESPECIALLY if you aren't cranking up voltages. 78C is also an acceptable temperature under Prime 95.

As far as overclocking using the base clock...how else would you overclock an 1156 processor? The multiplier goes to a max of what--20-22? It's fine to bump up base clock.
Share
April 9, 2011 6:54:03 PM

...since when did memory NOT have a lifetime warranty? its pretty much standard now-a-days.

if its stable, especially for a month now, im sure you're fine. voltage will kill memory far sooner than clock speed.

ive been running 1333mhz ddr3 CL9 1.5v ram at 1733 1.65v for 8 months now and ive not had a problem.

ymmv but i wouldnt worry about it
m
0
l
April 9, 2011 9:20:54 PM

geekapproved said:
That's what I told you to do, change the ratio to keep your ram speed down. It's unlikely the bios update had anything to do with it, obviously you just didn't know how to unlock your bios features.

I wouldn't doubt it if your ram fails soon though, running it 400mhz over rated speed for that long had to have done some damage.



No, before the BIOS update, the memory settings were grayed out. It was only after the BIOS update, the memory settings were changeable. You can confirm that if you get your hands on a DH55TC mobo.
m
0
l
April 9, 2011 9:30:56 PM

Genny said:

As far as overclocking using the base clock...how else would you overclock an 1156 processor? The multiplier goes to a max of what--20-22? It's fine to bump up base clock.



Yeah, but one intelligent guy seems to think otherwise :D 
m
0
l
April 9, 2011 11:10:56 PM

My sarcasm meter is off today, so I'm not sure if you're serious or not. :p  I've been running like this for the better part of a year and a half.

m
0
l
April 11, 2011 10:56:15 PM

I have come to this conclusion :

"Nowadays, any motherboard, which does not allow you to change CPU Vcore does not need anything more than a stock cooler for overclocking."

Running stable at :
FSB = 169
VCore = 1.184 ( Max )
Processor frequency = 22 x 169 = 3718 MHz
Maximum temperature running Prime95 In-place Large FFTs torture test is 79 Celsius.

At 172 FSB, I get a "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" very soon with the same temperatures.
To run at higher frequencies, I think I need to UP the CPU Vcore, but I can't because I have an INTEL motherboard.

Is there a BSEL MOD for Clarkdale Processors ?
m
0
l
April 15, 2011 1:29:06 AM

Best answer selected by General_Terror.
m
0
l
!