Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp desktop and start menu gone fix

Last response: in Windows XP
October 30, 2011 4:33:00 PM

Hello,
fix my computer plzzzz for some reason the start menu shortcuts are all gone and my desktop too.
October 30, 2011 9:48:21 PM

Hi Tony,

Some virus/malware infections will hide all the files and shortcuts on your computer. To make your files visible again, download Unhide to your desktop.

Once downloaded, double-click on Unhide and allow it to run. It will remove the hidden attribute on all files and attempt to restore Quick Launch and Start Menu items to their proper location.

Then try following the steps in this virus/malware removal guide: http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide

It contains instructions that will remove most malware infections. I hope this helps you.

Brian
October 31, 2011 3:06:40 PM

Its a known but old issue, it may not even be an infection, it could be from not fulfilling preventive maintenance tasks.

To get the screen back, open task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and start a new process File > New Task > Explorer.exe

Run a check disk on your machine (approx 1 hour to complete) File > New Task > Cmd

From cmd type and hit enter:

chkdsk /f /x /r

After typing the command hit Y for the schedule and restart your machine, do not stop the process and let the 5 step process finish.

!