Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this i7 system at best buy a better value than a custom build?!

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 29, 2009 9:47:09 PM

First off its an asus pc with the following specs:
Intel core i7 920
GTX 260
9gb ddr3- How and where can you get 9 gigs for a custom build??
1 TB 7200 rpm hd
standard 22x read write dvd drive
of course no more detailed specs cause its at best buy, but the price is.....
1199.99!!

I don't think you can make this yourself for less! If so tell me how because it's been bugging me.
August 29, 2009 10:03:10 PM

No. I built a system with a similar price that has an Antec 1200, GTX 275, 850W, 1tb WD black drive, an i7 with Dark Knight heatsink @ 3.7, and Asus P6T.

Build your own, my total price was about 1,217$- WITH tax and shipping & handling from newegg.
a c 80 à CPUs
August 29, 2009 10:04:16 PM

9 gig of ram is a 3 x2 gig kit and a 3 x 1 gig kit .

Its also pointless as any one who has read the memory articles on this web site knows
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 10:07:11 PM

9GB is made from 3x2GB+3x1GB
August 29, 2009 10:09:29 PM

yannifb said:
First off its an asus pc with the following specs:
Intel core i7 920
GTX 260
9gb ddr3- How and where can you get 9 gigs for a custom build??
1 TB 7200 rpm hd
standard 22x read write dvd drive
of course no more detailed specs cause its at best buy, but the price is.....
1199.99!!

I don't think you can make this yourself for less! If so tell me how because it's been bugging me.


One of the biggest problems with systems and places like Best Buy is they basically always have the bare minimum in power supplies, cooling and motherboards, as well as having a lackluster case. This all leads to them being well, not very upgradeable. If you were to take the bare minimum in all the places they do, you'd still come up with a lower price if you were to buy it yourself.

So, is it a bad price? Well, it's okay but you have to buy it knowing that you probably won't be able to upgrade it much, and you're more than likely getting lower quality parts in the motherboard/power supply/case department, as well as the stock CPU cooler, while still getting charged quite a lot.
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2009 10:32:18 PM

You can build better as cheap or cheaper.
a c 330 à CPUs
August 30, 2009 12:50:47 AM

Price it out yourself first for what you want.

If their price still looks good,

Then go to Best buy and ask to look at what they are selling.
If they won't/can't tell you what the components are, then ask if you can look inside yourself.
Any ASUS motherboard for a i7-920 should be OK.
Any ram that works should be OK, but 9gb is probably more than you need. 9gb is a plus for most people.
The PSU should have a spec label on it, where you can identify the vendor and it's capabilities.
Does it have a stock cooler? If you plan on OC, as most do, then a stock cooler is a negative.
Is the GTX260 the old version, or the faster 216 version? Is that what you want? For such a strong cpu, many will use a faster graphics card.
Do you love the case?

Building it yourself takes a bit of time, but the satisfaction is priceless.



August 30, 2009 1:13:29 AM

geofelt said:
Price it out yourself first for what you want.

If their price still looks good,

Then go to Best buy and ask to look at what they are selling.
If they won't/can't tell you what the components are, then ask if you can look inside yourself.
Any ASUS motherboard for a i7-920 should be OK.
Any ram that works should be OK, but 9gb is probably more than you need. 9gb is a plus for most people.
The PSU should have a spec label on it, where you can identify the vendor and it's capabilities.
Does it have a stock cooler? If you plan on OC, as most do, then a stock cooler is a negative.
Is the GTX260 the old version, or the faster 216 version? Is that what you want? For such a strong cpu, many will use a faster graphics card.
Do you love the case?

Building it yourself takes a bit of time, but the satisfaction is priceless.


I'm not buying for me, i am going to build pc's for people for a lower price than pre assembled ones and i was worried i could not compete with this system.
August 30, 2009 1:39:21 AM

yannifb said:
I'm not buying for me, i am going to build pc's for people for a lower price than pre assembled ones and i was worried i could not compete with this system.


As a general rule, the only way a private shop can compete with the big box stores is to never make a profit on PC's but rape, rob and pillage on tech support and upgrades. Personally, I'd rather build clients a quality system, provide good service, and charge them what it is worth. Remember, the box stores usually offer some kind of warranty, which is going to be invaluable to a lot of people that 'just want a system that works'.

Just my opinion.
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 2:27:45 AM

yannifb said:
I'm not buying for me, i am going to build pc's for people for a lower price than pre assembled ones and i was worried i could not compete with this system.


Your business needs a more substantial rationale.

For example, buyers know that "box store" service calls require navigation through a menu followed by a discussion with someone in (fill in country of choice) who is not technically trained.

And so on.

a c 330 à CPUs
August 30, 2009 3:41:41 AM

yannifb said:
First off its an asus pc with the following specs:
Intel core i7 920
GTX 260
9gb ddr3- How and where can you get 9 gigs for a custom build??
1 TB 7200 rpm hd
standard 22x read write dvd drive
of course no more detailed specs cause its at best buy, but the price is.....
1199.99!!

I don't think you can make this yourself for less! If so tell me how because it's been bugging me.


i7-920 C0 $280 or less
stock cooler ----
generic case $50
9gb crucial ram $144
1tb hitachi $65
dvd burner $25
FSP psu $40 (good low cost unit)
GTX260 $145
Vista 64 oem $110
Asus P6T SE $195
----------------------------
total $1054. Some rebates are involved.

Dell or best buy can purchase in 1000 unit trays, and get the OS for a pittance.

To compete, you need to bring more than price to the table. For instance:
OC to 975 speeds.
Custom paint a generic case.
In home hardware warranty service. (don't touch software)
etc...
a c 136 à CPUs
August 30, 2009 3:57:18 AM

You're also competing with eBay and Craigslist. Your system will be far superior, but the masses don't know better, and buy on price. They probably will not value what you can provide. Good luck. It isn't something I'd care to try these days.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 30, 2009 7:33:38 AM

LOL, I actually work at Best Buy! in the Computer Department (PCHO). honestly I spent more on my Computer building it than the Asus is worth and I actually have less than that Behemoth Asus. Here's my specs.

- ASRock Mobo with 2 PCI express x16 2.0 slots
- 700W power Supply
- AMD Phenom X4 Agena 9600 2.35Ghz
- CROSSFIRE Sapphire ATI HD4850 512MB and XFX ATI HD4850 512MB
- 8.00 GB of Corsair DDR2 800Mhz
- 1TB Western Digital 7200RPM harddrive
August 30, 2009 9:05:53 AM

yannifb said:
First off its an asus pc with the following specs:
Intel core i7 920
GTX 260
9gb ddr3- How and where can you get 9 gigs for a custom build??
1 TB 7200 rpm hd
standard 22x read write dvd drive
of course no more detailed specs cause its at best buy, but the price is.....
1199.99!!

I don't think you can make this yourself for less! If so tell me how because it's been bugging me.

Also Bios' are locked, so you can not OC. Plus the Ram is most likely do not have Heat Spreaders on them and Cas9 Latency. And yes it can be done using the bare minimum parts, that is why they only give 1yr support and warranty for it.
!