Sign in with
Your question

If installing a sound card do I need to hook up the AC'97 / HD Audio cable to

Last response: in Systems
May 25, 2009 8:59:42 PM

First of all, I am totally a novice with computers as this is my 1st attempt to build my own computer. I bought a Coller Master CM Storm Sniper chassis, an Asus P5QSE Motherboard and a SIIG Soundwave 7.1 sound card. The sound card has 3 connector options, 2 labeled CD-In and 1 labeled Aux-In, all of which only have a single row of 4 pins. The audio cable that is built into the Cooler Master chassis has 2 ends to it labeled AC'97 and HD AUDIO. These both have double rows of pins with 4 pins on the top row and 5 on the bottom row, which obviously won't fit on the sound card but there is a connection on the Asus mother board labeled AAFP. Do I connect the AC'97 or the HD AUDIO to the AAFP? I am using the Logitech subwoofer and 2 external speakers for sound. I've looked at all the diagrams and read the manuals but the instructions are not written for beginners like me. Please help
May 25, 2009 9:21:51 PM

Go for the Hd cable I'd say, and pop it in wherever the sound bit is (check motherboard manual). Though you won't be using it anyway so it doesn't have to be attached at all really.
May 25, 2009 9:51:07 PM

spanner_razor said:
Go for the Hd cable I'd say, and pop it in wherever the sound bit is (check motherboard manual). Though you won't be using it anyway so it doesn't have to be attached at all really.

Your card does not have a front panel header, so tuck the cable away and hope you dont need the front panel jacks for anything.
Related resources
May 25, 2009 10:32:44 PM

B-Unit said:
Your card does not have a front panel header, so tuck the cable away and hope you dont need the front panel jacks for anything.

So, if I understand you, to make my audio work I just plug the SIIG sound card into a vacant PCI slot and don't plug any cable at all into either the sound card or the motherboard?
May 25, 2009 11:46:29 PM

No cables from the case no but obviously you will have to plug the speakers into it.
!