Solved

How can I get URLs in internet explorer to open with a specific program

When I click a .pdf link, it always opens in Adobe Acrobat 6 (which has not been updated) rather than Adobe Reader 9, which I also have. How can I get the URLs to open in Reader?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about urls internet explorer open specific program
  1. jimcranfield said:
    When I click a .pdf link, it always opens in Adobe Acrobat 6 (which has not been updated) rather than Adobe Reader 9, which I also have. How can I get the URLs to open in Reader?

Go to folder options in control panel > File types and change the association.
  2. I already did that, but it still opens in Acrobat rather than reader
  3. Then the old version (6) must be memory resident for quick start. Possible to eliminate it from startup so it doesn't load, but with caveats.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/740072
  4. Best answer
    Alt+Double Left Click the .pdf file and click change which application to open with. Locate the new adobe reader from the browse option, target directory of course being c:\program files\adobe and select the option, apply the settings.

Adobe also has an web viewer option and background downloader which can be access via adobe reader under;

Edit > Preferences > Internet on the left navigation, set your options here.

If however this does not fix the issue, then there is a conflict with the adobe products, all adobe products have to be removed because of a corrupt issue in the registry, once all adobe application have been removed (reader applications only) you need to clean the registry (crap cleaner - piriform) then restart the machine after crap cleaner is complete, once restarted reinstall your adobe reader that you want to use.

Only reason im suggesting this, is we just had a client having the same problem with adobe reader 9 and acrobat reader 9. Almost the same but one allows for editing and creating pdf's.
  5. Best answer selected by jimcranfield.
  6. Many thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Internet Explorer Acrobat Windows XP