Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How can I get URLs in internet explorer to open with a specific program

Last response: in Windows XP
October 30, 2011 7:00:16 PM

When I click a .pdf link, it always opens in Adobe Acrobat 6 (which has not been updated) rather than Adobe Reader 9, which I also have. How can I get the URLs to open in Reader?
October 30, 2011 7:27:19 PM

jimcranfield said:
When I click a .pdf link, it always opens in Adobe Acrobat 6 (which has not been updated) rather than Adobe Reader 9, which I also have. How can I get the URLs to open in Reader?

Go to folder options in control panel > File types and change the association.
October 30, 2011 7:41:39 PM

I already did that, but it still opens in Acrobat rather than reader
Related resources
October 30, 2011 8:19:55 PM

Then the old version (6) must be memory resident for quick start. Possible to eliminate it from startup so it doesn't load, but with caveats.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/740072

Best solution

October 31, 2011 3:21:00 PM

Alt+Double Left Click the .pdf file and click change which application to open with. Locate the new adobe reader from the browse option, target directory of course being c:\program files\adobe and select the option, apply the settings.

Adobe also has an web viewer option and background downloader which can be access via adobe reader under;

Edit > Preferences > Internet on the left navigation, set your options here.

If however this does not fix the issue, then there is a conflict with the adobe products, all adobe products have to be removed because of a corrupt issue in the registry, once all adobe application have been removed (reader applications only) you need to clean the registry (crap cleaner - piriform) then restart the machine after crap cleaner is complete, once restarted reinstall your adobe reader that you want to use.

Only reason im suggesting this, is we just had a client having the same problem with adobe reader 9 and acrobat reader 9. Almost the same but one allows for editing and creating pdf's.
October 31, 2011 8:04:23 PM

Best answer selected by jimcranfield.
!