...Setting up Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P?:::

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • SATA
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
November 15, 2009 11:37:49 PM

Hello,

I just got a GA-MA790X-UD4P upgrade on my box, including 2 SATA hard drives, and 2 SATA drives (blu ray/ dvd-r)
I am stuck on configuring this rig so it can be set for optimal performance. With so many SATA connections (6 sata2, and 2 Gsata) you would think its plenty.. But I noticed that wherever I connect each drive, there is a MASTER and SLAVE... Can I just put each of the 4 drives on their own MASTER?? Would it be better for each drive to have their own MASTER? Perhaps someone has similar setup? My new HD SATA2 isnt formated, but my previous drive was supeer slow on this motherboard...

Thanx guys!
Rob

More about : setting gigabyte ma790x ud4p

a c 177 V Motherboard
November 16, 2009 12:42:42 AM

The master/slave designation means nothing... If it's connected to a SATA port, it's just a SATA drive... The only place where master/slave has any meaning is on an old-fashioned IDE port, with an old-fasioned master/slave cable, and old-fasioned master/slave jumpers!
m
l
November 16, 2009 1:39:12 AM

bil,
Thank you, as long as this is the case, I am set!
Is there any other utility besides windows utility to set your new hard drive, create partition, format..? For some reason I am having difficulty setting up the new hard drive (it is a Western Dig.), and they dont make utility to do the setup.. Once in a while when starting my computer and loading windows, it resets and start all over to boot, I dont know how to troubleshhot that..

Thanks for your time!!
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2009 6:53:01 PM

Drive manager is available in control panel/ administrative/ computer management/ storage.....
Select the new drive partition and format.
m
l
November 16, 2009 8:20:14 PM

Thank you!!
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
November 16, 2009 10:52:35 PM

If you are goint to use GPartEd, I'd avoid resizing NTFS partitions with it (still fine for dreating and/or deleting) - seems to be a peculiarbug surfacing unpredictably...
m
l
!