...Setting up Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P?:::

rlubocki

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hello,

I just got a GA-MA790X-UD4P upgrade on my box, including 2 SATA hard drives, and 2 SATA drives (blu ray/ dvd-r)
I am stuck on configuring this rig so it can be set for optimal performance. With so many SATA connections (6 sata2, and 2 Gsata) you would think its plenty.. But I noticed that wherever I connect each drive, there is a MASTER and SLAVE... Can I just put each of the 4 drives on their own MASTER?? Would it be better for each drive to have their own MASTER? Perhaps someone has similar setup? My new HD SATA2 isnt formated, but my previous drive was supeer slow on this motherboard...

Thanx guys!
Rob

bilbat

Splendid
The master/slave designation means nothing... If it's connected to a SATA port, it's just a SATA drive... The only place where master/slave has any meaning is on an old-fashioned IDE port, with an old-fasioned master/slave cable, and old-fasioned master/slave jumpers!

rlubocki

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
bil,
Thank you, as long as this is the case, I am set!
Is there any other utility besides windows utility to set your new hard drive, create partition, format..? For some reason I am having difficulty setting up the new hard drive (it is a Western Dig.), and they dont make utility to do the setup.. Once in a while when starting my computer and loading windows, it resets and start all over to boot, I dont know how to troubleshhot that..

Thanks for your time!!