Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How does enabling XMP affect anything?

Last response: in Memory
November 16, 2009 4:02:09 AM

I have a new Core i7-860 build,
mobo=Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2,
RAM = CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB)DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
This ram supports Intel XMP (profile 1)

By default, the BIOS has XMP set to "Disabled", and the RAM frequency is 1333

I changed it to "Enabled", and I see that the RAM frequency is now at 1600, the advertised speed of the RAM.

Did I just overclock my system? Will this lower the stability of my system in any way or have any other effects?

More about : enabling xmp affect

a b } Memory
November 16, 2009 2:32:54 PM

XMP is extended memory profiles, these are used for memory speeds above the jedec specs, enabling it lets the system read from the xmp profiles on the memory and adjust the memory accordingly, though i really wouldn't call it over clocking
November 16, 2009 5:48:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. So there's no harm in enabling it?

Why would the BIOS have it turned off by default?
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
November 16, 2009 5:57:22 PM

trale said:
Did I just overclock my system? Will this lower the stability of my system in any way or have any other effects?

mindless's explanation of XMP is right. However, the motherboard does consider this an overclock so there are some other adjustments you may want to make. I built a system with the same chip and motherboard. In my experience, turning XMP on causes gigabyte to translate a lot of settings that are Auto by default as Disabled, whereas with XMP off it treats these Auto settings as Enabled. In particular, the features that I found I 'lost' were related to Turbo and energy savings/sleep step. One of the big selling points of the i7 860 was the turbo mode so I definitely wanted this back!

After some easy changes to a few default settings in the BIOS, I was able to get XMP and Turbo working together. The changes I had to make in the BIOS were on the Advanced CPU Core Features page:
Intel Turbo Boost Tech. - changed from Auto to Enabled
CPU Cores Enabled - left as All
CPU Multi-Threading - left as Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - changed from Auto to Enabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support - changed from Auto to Enabled
CPU Thermal Monitor - changed from Auto to Enabled
CPU EIST Function - changed from Auto to Enabled
Bi-Directional PROCHOT - changed from Auto to Enabled

My board now idles with a multiplier of x9 (about 1.2GHz). And when I run a single thread of Prime95 it hits a multiplier of x26 and the max speed of 3.46GHz. Turbo now appears to be working with RAM set to XMP. Prior to making these changes with XMP on my CPU basically ran at a constant x20 or x21 (around 2.66GHz).

Note: These readings are as reported by CPU-Z. CoreTemp approximately matched the idle numbers, but it never reported a multiplier and speed higher than x22 and ~2.93GHz. I believe CPU-Z is correct and CoreTemp has a bug keeping it from reading this processor correctly.
January 1, 2010 7:13:18 PM

I flash my Gygabyte Bios f3 to f5 and I don't have Xmp option what version of the bios U have ? because that opyion I don't see it
a b } Memory
January 2, 2010 5:45:43 AM

To ClusT3R---- if you have manual settings on ram the XMP option is not visible, reset to auto and reboot then enter bios and it should be visible, assuming your ram has any such listings for xmp.
January 7, 2010 6:32:33 PM

has anything changed with all of this? on the newegg site, the listed support does not include 1600, but the gigabyte website does list 1600 (i don't know if it always has):

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Sp...

i've got the pieces for my first build and i'm a little worried that i'm going to have problems once it's all together. my memory is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and it's listed on the "memory support list" on gigabyte's website

i'm hoping to plug and play
a b } Memory
January 7, 2010 6:48:14 PM

I don't know that any of it has changed. 1600 is not officially supported by Intel with the 1156 socket so you cannot count on being able to "plug and play". But if you want to enable 1600, it may not be that difficult. Depends on a couple things. The most important is: which CPU did you buy?
January 7, 2010 6:54:59 PM

i5 750
a b } Memory
January 7, 2010 7:04:27 PM

Ok, running RAM at 1600 MHz is not as easy with an i5 750 as with an i7 860 or 870.

By default the P55s run at a BCLK = 133, the system memory multiplier is 10x (10x133=1333MHz) and as an example the i7 860's CPU clock ratio (cpu multiplier) is 21x (21x133=~2.8GHz).

With an i7 860 you are allowed to up the memory multipler to 12x. An i5 750 cannot go higher than 10x. But these means at stock bclk the fastest you can set the RAM to is 12x133 = 1600MHz for an i7 860. While for the i5 750 the fastest you can set the RAM to is 10x133 = 1333MHz.

To get any faster you have to OC your CPU.
a b } Memory
January 7, 2010 8:02:35 PM

Maybe I should clarify, your RAM should run fine. It's just that it will run at 1333 MHz not the 1600 you were more than likely expecting. But there's arguably little difference outside of benchmarks between RAM running at 1333 vs. 1600. There's also a strong case to be made for slower RAM with tighter timings. And by running 1600 rated RAM at 1333 there should be enough overhead to tighten up the timings of your RAM, if you wanted to mess with those settings.
January 7, 2010 11:02:20 PM

i'm fine with running at 1333, just wish i'd have known - could have saved $10 or so (no biggie though)... i'm not exactly sure what it means to tighten up the timing, but if it wouldn't be a big difference, then i probably wouldn't mess with it... and i really don't plan on doing any overclocking any time soon - just sticking with a semi-budget, semi-basic build... thanks a lot for your help

bottom line, when i plug these sticks in, i'm going to see 4GB at 1333 MHz?
a b } Memory
January 8, 2010 1:00:11 AM

Yes. Enjoy your new rig!
Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 5, 2010 10:57:57 PM

Hey,
i have:
GA-P55-UD3 rev 1.0 bios F7
patriot PVV34G1600LLKB (ddr3 1600MHz)
i7 860
and i have this same situation:
When XMP ON->Turbo Boost dont work (even the option is auto)
When XMP OFF-> Turbo working

it's my first P55 board so i don't know what i have to do to manualy set procudent recomended settings without using XMP. Now is many options about Voltage so i dont want risk and manualy set something and than demage my PC.

I tryed your idea:
XMP on
and to enable all setings that you wrote(from auto to enable)
and Turbo Bost now worning but im curious... its now all settings safe for my computer?
or mayby i should change something else in bios?

About multipler: my is around x22-x25 max for 1 thred aplication never x26 (even i use prine and 1 thred)
and i never have x9 multipler if is idle... always stock on x24-x25 so you can see TURBO dont workk perfectly corectly

WHAT I HAVE TO DO TO USE MY MEMORY IN 1600 and TO USE TURBO BOOST AND HT???
whats i have to change manualy??? ddr voltage and??? QPI??? and what and how?
a b } Memory
April 6, 2010 3:56:28 AM

Quote:
and Turbo Bost now worning but im curious... its now all settings safe for my computer?
or mayby i should change something else in bios?

If all you did was turn on XMP and change the "Advanced CPU Core Features" from Auto to Enabled your settings should be safe.

Quote:
About multipler: my is around x22-x25 max for 1 thred aplication never x26 (even i use prine and 1 thred)

To get a x26 multiplier you have to be certain that only 1 core is running. Stop absolutetly everything from running, including any anti-virus software you have. Then start CPU-Z. Then start prime95 on just one thread. If you don't see your multiplier hit x26, open Task Manager. If you look on the Performance tab you should see activity on one of the other cores. Check the Processes tab to see what else is running. Of course moving around in Task Manager can cause cores to be active and will affect your Turbo. Just try to limit what you load and allow some time to pass after every click and movement you make to allow the cores to come to rest again.

Quote:
and i never have x9 multipler if is idle... always stock on x24-x25 so you can see TURBO dont workk perfectly corectly

The Turbo functionality is not what allows your board to idle at x9. This is handled by the Speed Step or EIST function. There are two important settings here. First, the settings in BIOS should be set to Enabled, which you have already done. Second, from within Windows open Power Options. Choose the Balanced option, then click Change Plan Settings next to the Balanced plan. Then click "Change advanced power settings." In the window that pops-up, expand Processor power management - Minimum processor state - and change the setting to be 5%. Click OK to close the pop-up window, and then Save Changes on the Power Options window.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 6, 2010 9:55:30 AM

yhymmm...
one more thing
when XMP profile 1 ON-> automaticly DDR VOLTAGE is increasing to 1,65 and QPI to 1,35
QPI is conected with processor so i think this is the reason of that the turbo dont work after XMP turned to ON, because motherboard traed this like OC.
IF XMP off DDR VOLTAGE is 1.5 and QPI 1,1

Im afraid about that, when XMP on and I turner all option that you wrote from AUTO to ENABLED,
then i can demage my hardware because motherboard voltage managment can dont work corectly with
DDR voltage 1,65 and QPI 1,35 and all advenced features from auto to enabled

sorry for my english...
August 18, 2010 8:04:23 PM

ekoostik said:
Ok, running RAM at 1600 MHz is not as easy with an i5 750 as with an i7 860 or 870.

By default the P55s run at a BCLK = 133, the system memory multiplier is 10x (10x133=1333MHz) and as an example the i7 860's CPU clock ratio (cpu multiplier) is 21x (21x133=~2.8GHz).

With an i7 860 you are allowed to up the memory multipler to 12x. An i5 750 cannot go higher than 10x. But these means at stock bclk the fastest you can set the RAM to is 12x133 = 1600MHz for an i7 860. While for the i5 750 the fastest you can set the RAM to is 10x133 = 1333MHz.

To get any faster you have to OC your CPU.

Hi,

I am happy to find the information in your posts around this subject since I have also been wondering about why my Corsair XMS3 1600MHz is only detected as 1333MHz by my Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 motherboard.

However, if I understand you correct the i7 should support a memory multipler up to 12x (133*12=1600MHz) and therfore I still find it strange that my motherboard set this memory to run at 1333 MHz. Could you explain this?

BR,
Andreas
a b } Memory
August 18, 2010 9:26:28 PM

andreas35 said:
However, if I understand you correct the i7 should support a memory multipler up to 12x (133*12=1600MHz) and therfore I still find it strange that my motherboard set this memory to run at 1333 MHz. Could you explain this?

The highest speed officially supported by Intel is 1333 MHz. Therefore, the motherboards will not default to a speed higher than that. The user must intervene and manually change the settings. With an i7 that's as easy as changing the SPD to 12. And while you're in there you can manually set the other timings and the RAM voltage as well.
August 18, 2010 9:59:07 PM

ekoostik said:
The highest speed officially supported by Intel is 1333 MHz. Therefore, the motherboards will not default to a speed higher than that. The user must intervene and manually change the settings. With an i7 that's as easy as changing the SPD to 12. And while you're in there you can manually set the other timings and the RAM voltage as well.

Ok, thanks! Could you please specify exactly which settings is needed to be changed manually for this memory to work as intended? E.g. which timing do I have to change?

Btw, if I choose to stay with 1333 MHz, is it then correct to stay with the voltage 1.5V as is now used by the Auto configuration? The memory spec says 1.65V?
August 19, 2010 8:50:40 AM

ekoostik said:
There are many varieties of RAM. You've mentioned yours is Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 1.65V. Is it one of the three in this link, and if so which one?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

If it is not one of those three, post a link to your RAM.

Yes it is the first one of these three.

Sorry for asking a lot, but why is the settings not automatically set correct if I choose to use the XMP instead of manually tweaking the settings?
August 19, 2010 11:24:45 AM

Was not able to edit last message so I correct it here instead:
It is the third memory of these three, i.e. with CL9.
a b } Memory
August 20, 2010 2:46:03 AM

andreas35 said:
but why is the settings not automatically set correct if I choose to use the XMP instead of manually tweaking the settings?

The RAM settings should automatically set correctly if you have an i7 and you turn on XMP. However some of the other settings on your Gigabyte board which are set to Auto wil start to be treated as Disabled. If the RAM settings do not get set correctly then there is either a problem with the XMP profile on the RAM sticks, or the board cannot read the XMP profiles off the RAM (the board has an issue or they are just not compatible at the XMP profile), or the motherboard needs a BIOS update.

andreas35 said:
It is the third memory of these three, i.e. with CL9.

Thank you for specifying CL9. When I clicked on the link those were the 2nd link. It's good to be specific and detailed around here.

There's no mystery to the main 4 RAM settings. If you look at any of the stickies they will get into a lot of detail but the first step is comparing the RAM specs to the motherboard options. The four timings that are advertised are the first four settings in the BIOS options. According to your RAM specs the settings are 9-9-9-24. See "Timing" on your RAM Specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To set the timings manually go to the Advanced Memory Settings page: http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/html/bios-help-p55m-ud2.... Memory Settings
Change the DRAM Timing Selectable to QUICK. Then click on Channel A Timing Settings.

In Channel A Timing Settings: http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/html/bios-help-p55m-ud2.... A Timing Settings
The first four settings correspond to your RAM specs. Set:
CAS Latency: 9
tRCD: 9
tRP: 9
tRAS: 24

Now return to Advanced Memory Settings: http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/html/bios-help-p55m-ud2.... Memory Settings
Since you have an i7, change the System Memory Multiplier to 12. (If needed, re-read the thread for more detail on why). This will run your RAM at 1600 MHz.

You'll also want to change your DDR Voltage to 1.64V (your board only allows for even numbered settings).

Finally, if you want to keep turbo and speed step and the C-states, etc, then as previously mentioned in this thread go to Advanced CPU Core Features: http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/html/bios-help-p55m-ud2.... CPU Core Features
Set CPU Cores Enabled to All. Set everything else to Enabled.
August 20, 2010 11:06:10 AM

Thanks alot for a really great guide! Just some follow-up questions:

As I understand from your previous posts the disabling of Turbo Boost, C-states and so on does only happen if you choose to turn on the XMP profiles, since the motherboard consider this as an overclock.

But if you change the timings and voltage manually according to your guide, the Turbo Boost, C-states and so on should not be affected and thus this last step is not necessary:
Quote:
Finally, if you want to keep turbo and speed step and the C-states, etc, then as previously mentioned in this thread go to Advanced CPU Core Features: http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/htm [...] p#Advanced CPU Core Features
Set CPU Cores Enabled to All. Set everything else to Enabled.

Is this correct understood?

Also, where can I find information about the memory settings for a certain XMP profile? Is this specified somewhere by the manufacturer? Profile 1 or 2 does not tell me much about what is really changed.

Finally, is it correct to use the voltage 1.5V if the memory is run at the default 1333 MHz or should 1.65V be used also in this case? At default my motherboard has configured 1.5V.

BR,
Andreas
a b } Memory
August 20, 2010 11:27:05 AM

andreas35 said:
As I understand from your previous posts the disabling of Turbo Boost, C-states and so on does only happen if you choose to turn on the XMP profiles, since the motherboard consider this as an overclock. But if you change the timings and voltage manually according to your guide, the Turbo Boost, C-states and so on should not be affected and thus this last step is not necessary.

Off the top of my head, I do not remember. I think that once you make any changes to speed up the RAM, the motherboard treats at least some Auto settings as Disabled. It definitely does when you turn on XMP. I believe it does when you manually changes SPDs but I could be wrong. The best way to verify is to test it. Leave them at Auto, change your memory SPD to 12 and then load up CPU-Z. Make sure no programs are running and see if the CPU goes into an idle state. Kick on 1 thread in Prime95 and see if Turbo kicks in.

andreas35 said:
Also, where can I find information about the memory settings for a certain XMP profile? Is this specified somewhere by the manufacturer? Profile 1 or 2 does not tell me much about what is really changed.

Look around your RAM manufacturer's web site. They should have the most detailed information there.

andreas35 said:
Finally, is it correct to use the voltage 1.5V if the memory is run at the default 1333 MHz or should 1.65V be used also in this case? At default my motherboard has configured 1.5V.

This is highly dependent upon the RAM. However if the manufacturer followed spec 1.5V would be correct. And if your motherboard is setting that as default that is more than likely the correct setting.

Are you familiar with memtest86+? Once you have your RAM settings as you would like them, run this utility. You will have to burn it to CD and boot to it to run it. It does not test the stability of your RAM, but will help ensure the RAM itself does not have defects. Let it run over night. http://www.memtest.org/
August 20, 2010 1:01:08 PM

I just installed 3 2gb sticks of xms3 1600 on a GA-EX58-UDR3 MB running i7 920. It was running at 1066 until I changed the xmp to profile 1. Now it is running at 1600 but my CPU is also idling at 1600 and jumps up to 2600 when I need it.

I am not sure of the idle speed when I was running 1333 sticks. I disabled the turbo until I have a chance to see how it runs for a while. If anyone has any experience with the same Hardware and wants to share I would be pleased.

I dont want to overclock it just want it to run well while I edit and produce HD video.
a b } Memory
August 21, 2010 12:24:14 AM

GeeseInFlight - test out your rig with RAM at 1333 MHz and 1600 MHz and see what it is capable of. Seeing as how the 'standard' speed is 2.66 GHz and with Turbo the max speed is 2.93 GHz it doesn't sound like you have much to worry about right now. But your hardware is different than what has been discussed here. If you start a new thread you'll likely get better help. Be specific in listing all your components. Also explain in as much detail as possible what you have tried and what your problem/question is.
August 21, 2010 1:14:23 AM

No one mentioned that it voids your intel CPU warranty ? :p 
August 21, 2010 3:26:00 PM

Thank you for the replies!!! Yes Ekoostik, Your right I should have started my own thread. I have been reading so many threads and this thread seemed like the closest thing to my particular situation. I had some trouble a couple of weeks ago and started my own thread but didnt receive a single reply so I am happy that someone read this. Maybe the other thread didn't have enough info either. I will try again. Please look at my new thread! Thanks again for the reply!!
!