Best options for SSD Raid-0

akromam90

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I'm building a new system and was interested in doing a raid-0 setup. What are some of the better drives to do this with SSD wise? I was looking at doing just 2x 40gb(or around there) and just putting the OS and games on there(world of warcraft, SC2 etc.) I have 3TB external storage for downloaded material.

I was looking at the following:
intel X-25V http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167030

OCZ Vertex 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-227-610&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

thoughts? Thanks!

Solution
Recommend skipping Raid 0 and just buying a 80 gig drive and using nonraid.

(1) With Raid0 you lose trim
(2) Vertex-2 (w/SF controller) works best with Intel ahci driver (not available when SSD is a member drive of a raid setup).
(3) Raid0 improves sequencial read/writes, but Does very little to improve 4K random read/writes and access time. Thereforefore does little to improve boot time and program loads. Raid0 will help considerably for working with large sequencial files such as .VOB (DVD movie files - 1 Gig in size, Blu-ray movie files - up to 40 gigs in size, and large spread system files - NOT normally placed on a small SSD.

Drawbacks out weigh advantages.
Recommend skipping Raid 0 and just buying a 80 gig drive and using nonraid.

(1) With Raid0 you lose trim
(2) Vertex-2 (w/SF controller) works best with Intel ahci driver (not available when SSD is a member drive of a raid setup).
(3) Raid0 improves sequencial read/writes, but Does very little to improve 4K random read/writes and access time. Thereforefore does little to improve boot time and program loads. Raid0 will help considerably for working with large sequencial files such as .VOB (DVD movie files - 1 Gig in size, Blu-ray movie files - up to 40 gigs in size, and large spread system files - NOT normally placed on a small SSD.

Drawbacks out weigh advantages.

Solution