Is the HD 6950 worth unlocking?

bodrizzle

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Hey there, I have just purchased an order for the HD 6950 because its current the best bang for the buck, and i have noticed that their unlock-able. But this site shows that just by sliding the the power limit in Catalyst Control Center by +20% the card actually performs better then after its modded with a lower power consumption.

http://tpucdn.com/articles/159/images/power.jpg

so... what should I do? Any ideas?

Solution
by 100 or so shaders, yes.

That's saving you $100. If you can unlock, you should.

If things don't work out and you end up being that 8-20% of people who can't get it stable, then you can always revert back. no harm done.

bodrizzle

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

Well yeah thats true, but i want to get the most out of my money and also the card. Or else I wouldn't have chosen this one lol. Ill test out come games with the card when it comes then decide weather to mod the card or not. Thanks for the tips. =)

bodrizzle

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
unlock the extra shaders by modding the BIOS, but to leave the voltage alone (in other words, do NOT flash with a stock 6970 BIOS) and do all your overclocking through CCC or MSI Afterburner

Alright I thought that was more of a beneficial decision, I asked just to make sure. Cant wait to test out my new beast. TY xD

trihedral

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
by 100 or so shaders, yes.

That's saving you $100. If you can unlock, you should.

If things don't work out and you end up being that 8-20% of people who can't get it stable, then you can always revert back. no harm done.

Solution